Burn DVD MOVIES question

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Burn DVD MOVIES question

Post by iironjade »

Use DeVeDe to create an ISO image and then burn it to a disc using K3b, Brasero or any of the other gazillions of burning apps available.
There doesn't seem to be one single app which transcodes and burns simultaneously like Nero, so the process is a bit more laborious.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

You're welcome. :)
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Downloading DIVX and XVID movies from the Internet will give you a somewhat diminished quality compared to DVD. So while can convert the format back to DVD with programs like DeVeDe, you can never regain the lost quality. Because of this let me suggest to you an alternate route. Instead of converting the files just burn the actual DIVX or XVID files directly to your blank DVD as data. You can get about 5 or 6 movies on one DVD this way. Now go out and buy yourself a Philips DVD player. Most Philips units support DIVX and XVID, and will play these disks. Your physical collection will be much smaller, and you won't have to waste your time transcoding.
Patrissimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Patrissimo »

I usually do what Lantesh does, but the movie comes as a single chapter when burned that way. So if you want to skip ahead, you have to fast forward.
if you use DeveDe, you can set the chapter size, I think. And it's easier to share with friends, who might not have the right kind of dvd player.
DeVeDe has always been a little buggy for me, also.
Toxic

Post by Toxic »

I have been having a problem transcoding. Devede is leaving scanlines and Qdvdauthor is playing back too fast. I tried the command line using ffmpeg -i file.avi -aspect 16:9 -target ntsc-dvd file.mpg and got errors, (ie: STRANGE: I/O error occured
Usually that means that input file is truncated and/or corrupted.)
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

There is a program that will convert to DVD format, allow chapters to be created, even menus and will burn your movie to disc. Its called Todisc and is part of the Tovid suite.
Here is main page http://tovid.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

I have used this for many months with good results - take the SVN trunk and build with the suggested ffmpeg from Debian - the Ubuntu variety is somewhat broken.

Hope this helps
Tithis

Post by Tithis »

I would never bother reencoding for a DVD. To keep any type of decent quality you'll have to encode for a very long time.

If you can hooking your computer up to your TV is a great way to get around encoding and you'll be able to play any format you come across. Its also great for playing emulators if you have controllers :wink:

Return to “Sound”