Chrome and Audacity break Sound

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ptolemy

Chrome and Audacity break Sound

Post by ptolemy »

Hi,

I find sound works great in Firefox, and playing CD's, but if I then start Chrome, or Audacity it breaks sound, never to come back unless I reboot, that applies both to You Tube etc and playing CD's.

I suspect the problem maybe that it's defaulting to my graphics card as the default:

$ lspci | grep -i audio
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV770 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4850/4870]
04:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04)

My speakers are plugged into the SB Audigy.

I've removed Pulseaudio and believe I'm purely using ALSA. My .asoundrc looks like this:

~$ cat .asoundrc
pcm.!default {
type hw
card Audigy2
}
ctl.!default {
type hw
card Audigy2
}

It appears that it's once I visit You Tube in Chrome that the sound fails. I've captured the output of ps before and after and diff-ed and it doesn't appear that any process is stopping, neither are there any new events in /var/log or dmesg.

I'd be grateful for any advice for further things to try.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eco2geek
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Chrome and Audacity break Sound

Post by eco2geek »

Here's something else to try. You may have two sound-related kernel modules being loaded, and the wrong one being loaded first and used for sound output instead of the one you want.

Find out which modules are loaded with the command

Code: Select all

$ cat /proc/asound/modules
 0 snd_hda_intel
 1 snd_ice1724
That's the output on my computer -- hopefully you'll see something similar. The output shows the module for my mobo's sound chipset (snd_hda_intel), and the module for my sound card's chipset (snd_icd1724). Right now, the default soundcard ("card0") is using the snd_hda_intel module, because that module is getting loaded before the other one.

I want the default driver to be the other one. So, in order to make sure that "snd_icd1724" gets used as the default sound driver, I'm going to make sure "snd_hda_intel" always gets to be "card1" instead of "card0" by adding the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/sound (create the file if it doesn't exist, and substitute the name of the offending module for your sound card for mine):

options snd_hda_intel index=1
and reboot.

Credit: The Headacher on the Vector Linux forum.
ptolemy

Post by ptolemy »

eco2geek - Thanks for the reply, I tried what you suggested sadly to no avail.

That is to say I created this file with this contents:

$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound 
options snd_hda_intel index=1
That leads to this:

$ cat /proc/asound/cards 
 0 [Audigy2        ]: Audigy2 - SB Audigy 2 Platinum [SB0240P]
                      SB Audigy 2 Platinum [SB0240P] (rev.4, serial:0x10021102) at 0xec00, irq 22
 1 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
                      HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfe9ec000 irq 44
Which made me optimistic the problem was solved. However, using Firefox I kicked off a tune on youtube, playing fine until I started Chrome and used that to visit youtube, once the youtube home page loads sound goes off, to not come back until a reboot.
eco2geek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eco2geek »

I'm sorry, I didn't mean for you to create a file with the same information as I have in mine. I was just posting mine as an example.

Please run the command "cat /proc/asound/modules" and post the results.
ptolemy

Post by ptolemy »

~$ cat /proc/asound/modules 
 0 snd_emu10k1
 1 snd_hda_intel
No worries, I think we happen to have the same mobo sound thing. There's the output of said file. Thanks again for taking an interest.
eco2geek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eco2geek »

Whew. Sorry I couldn't help fix your issue.

What I'm seeing is that, every time I reboot and log in to Cinnamon, I have to choose the correct sound output device; it's defaulting to "Built-In Audio Analog Stereo" rather than my sound card. The setting does not "stick" between reboots. (See screenshot.)

Return to “Sound”