difficulty converting files with WinFF

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Barnabooth

difficulty converting files with WinFF

Post by Barnabooth »

January 26th, 2013
I am running an HP-Compaq dc5100 Pentium (R)4 3.20 with 796 M of RAM.
I have been running Linux Mint 14 Xfce for about a month.
Yesterday I installed WinFF—I wanted to download some Youtube videos in flv, convert them to wav, and burn them to a CD (we have found that someone suffering from Alzheimer's often finds the music from their youth comforting).
I downloaded sixteen videos with Download Helper, and then transferred them as a batch to Winff. I tried playing several of the files through WinFF with no difficulties.
I set the output details to Convert to: Audio and Preset: Wav for CD and Output Folder: home/owner/Music.
When I hit “Convert”, the terminal opened, and it began to do its thing, but when it closed, I found that it had converted the first six tunes only. I attempted to do the remaining tunes as a second batch, but this time the terminal flicked open and closed again before I saw what it said, if anything.
I tried again, with six tunes, and then with two, but always with the same result: the terminal flicking open and shut.
I removed and reinstalled WinFF and ffmpeg, and this time installed codecs, but WinFF continued to do nothing (other than opening and shutting the terminal).
I had found nothing germane on the forums, and I was unsure whether this was a bug with WinFF, or Linux Mint, or whether my computer simply needed more memory, so I installed WinFF on my laptop, which is running Ubuntu 10.04 (and has 4G of memory, although only 3 are used).
Again, there was no difficulty playing the tunes in WinFF—but when I attempted to convert the same sixteen videos—WinFF did only the first nine. This time, when I attempted to do the remaining files as a second batch, it cooperated.
I installed Transmageddon, which worked the one time I have tried it, but only wants to convert one file at a time, and feels a bit limited in comparison with WinFF.
Is WinFF simply a prima donna? Or is there a fix for these hit-or-miss results? Since I eventually get results, I can't complain too much...but I'll be grateful for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: difficulty converting files with WinFF

Post by jungle_boy »

Unfortunately WinFF works fine only in windows...
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
mfluder

Post by mfluder »

Sorry Jungle, but I disagree. Just got done encoding my entire music library today with winff in Linux Mint 13. It works great. It works just as good if not better than the windows version. I made presets for FLAC and OGG. I went from MP4 to FLAC. Then FLAC to OGG. Also made MP3s. Super fast. No problems.
mfluder

Post by mfluder »

Barnabooth, try downloading the videos as MP4 with smplayer (smtube). Should be easier to convert then.

Return to “Sound”