Jack audio cannot connect to server socket

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
to7m

Jack audio cannot connect to server socket

Post by to7m »

I've tried to set up Jack audio on a 64-bit Mint 14.1 Mate (3.5.0-17-generic unmodified kernel) system by installing the a bunch of audio things from kxstudio, and a few more jack things. I've searched a bit and found no solution that works for me. When I try to start the server from qjackctl, the following messages are given:

- when I run qjackctl
04:52:39.469 Patchbay deactivated.
04:52:39.483 Statistics reset.
04:52:39.497 ALSA connection change.
04:52:39.515 D-BUS: Service is available (org.jackaudio.service aka jackdbus).
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
04:52:39.524 ALSA connection graph change.
- when I click "Start"
04:52:43.616 D-BUS: JACK server could not be started. Sorry
Fri Feb 22 04:52:43 2013: Starting jack server...
Fri Feb 22 04:52:43 2013: JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
Fri Feb 22 04:52:43 2013: [1m[31mERROR: Failed to acquire device name : Audio0 error : Method "RequestRelease" with signature "i" on interface "org.freedesktop.ReserveDevice1" doesn't exist
[0m
Fri Feb 22 04:52:43 2013: [1m[31mERROR: Audio device hw:0 cannot be acquired...[0m
Fri Feb 22 04:52:43 2013: [1m[31mERROR: Cannot initialize driver[0m
Fri Feb 22 04:52:43 2013: [1m[31mERROR: JackServer::Open failed with -1[0m
Fri Feb 22 04:52:43 2013: [1m[31mERROR: Failed to open server[0m
Fri Feb 22 04:52:44 2013: Saving settings to "/home/to7m/.config/jack/conf.xml" ...
- when it gives an error message and apologises - "D-BUS: JACK server could not be started. | Sorry"
04:52:46.765 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
- when it says "Could not connect to JACK server as client. | - Overall operation failed. | - Unable to connect to server. | Please check the messages window for more info."

This is mostly gibberish to me, so hopefully someone here will be able to read it and instantly figure out what's happening :P
Here are the contents of the /home/to7m/.config/jack/conf.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!--
JACK settings, as persisted by D-Bus object.
You probably don't want to edit this because
it will be overwritten next time jackdbus saves.
-->
<!-- Fri Feb 22 04:52:44 2013 -->
<jack>
<engine>
<option name="driver">alsa</option>
<option name="realtime">true</option>
<option name="verbose">false</option>
<option name="client-timeout">500</option>
</engine>
<drivers>
<driver name="alsarawmidi">
</driver>
<driver name="netone">
</driver>
<driver name="firewire">
</driver>
<driver name="alsa">
<option name="capture">hw:0</option>
<option name="playback">hw:0</option>
<option name="device">hw:0</option>
<option name="rate">44100</option>
<option name="period">1024</option>
<option name="nperiods">2</option>
<option name="hwmon">false</option>
<option name="hwmeter">false</option>
<option name="duplex">true</option>
<option name="softmode">false</option>
<option name="monitor">false</option>
<option name="dither">n</option>
<option name="shorts">false</option>
</driver>
<driver name="net">
</driver>
<driver name="loopback">
</driver>
<driver name="dummy">
</driver>
</drivers>
<internals>
<internal name="audioadapter">
</internal>
<internal name="profiler">
</internal>
<internal name="netadapter">
</internal>
<internal name="netmanager">
</internal>
</internals>
</jack>

Hope this is enough info to start off with.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vandalheart

Re: Jack audio cannot connect to server socket

Post by vandalheart »

ever figure this out? im having the same problem, however if I run the contents of /home/user/.jackdrc jackd starts and I can open qjackctl after the server starts.

problem is, it will not let me use my internal sound card as output and usb mic as input :/ mysteriously, it was working fine a couple days ago and I havent really been tinkering.
to7m

Post by to7m »

I can somewhat reliably run Jack: If I suspend or hibernate, or open programs, Jack probably won't run afterwards, so I open System Monitor and kill pulseaudio, which then respawns, and then Jack starts. Other times I need to kill other processes such as jackdbus, but it always starts in the end.

Getting slightly off-topic:
In "Connections", can you see the USB mic as an option in "Readable clients"?
Are you able to record from the USB mic into Audacity?
To test whether it's working, I would do the following if USB mic is an option in Connections:
Connect it to "System"
If piercing feedback wail doesn't occur, tap the mic to see if it's doing anything.
If it's not an option, I'd open pavucontrol (sudo apt-get pavucontrol, I find it works better when trying to do Jack stuff), look in "Input Devices", set the input device to the USB mic, and then tap it and see if the bar under "Jack source" does something, or connect "system" to "system" to do the feedback loop test.
Any luck?
vandalheart

Re:

Post by vandalheart »

to7m wrote:I can somewhat reliably run Jack: If I suspend or hibernate, or open programs, Jack probably won't run afterwards, so I open System Monitor and kill pulseaudio, which then respawns, and then Jack starts. Other times I need to kill other processes such as jackdbus, but it always starts in the end.

Getting slightly off-topic:
In "Connections", can you see the USB mic as an option in "Readable clients"?
Are you able to record from the USB mic into Audacity?
To test whether it's working, I would do the following if USB mic is an option in Connections:
Connect it to "System"
If piercing feedback wail doesn't occur, tap the mic to see if it's doing anything.
If it's not an option, I'd open pavucontrol (sudo apt-get pavucontrol, I find it works better when trying to do Jack stuff), look in "Input Devices", set the input device to the USB mic, and then tap it and see if the bar under "Jack source" does something, or connect "system" to "system" to do the feedback loop test.
Any luck?
I have solved my problem after 2 weeks of downtime. hopefully I can help solve yours too,

so my initial problem was that I could not use my onboard interface as an output and my usb mic as an input. for some reason I was able to do this in Buntu 10 and 11, started to think that it was mint-related (turns out its not, as I tried on buntu 12.04 also)

No matter how many different ways I tried to implement this, it would not work. sometimes the server would start with my desired settings but would still frustratingly use the onboard mic as an input. I could either use the onboard interface OR the usb interface exclusively!

i went and did

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get --purge remove ardour jackd2 qjackctl
which for some reason installed jackd1 packages, so i purged those also.

THEN i did

sudo apt-get install ardour qjackctl
and it reinstalled all the appropriate packages. A dialogue should pop up asking if you want jack to have realtime priority(in my case its a yes).

you might need to do

sudo apt-get autoremove
to get rid of any packages you dont need.

This didnt solve my problem. I tried with the pulse audio bridge

sudo apt-get install pulseaudio-module-jack
which didnt really help (although there is the benefit of non jack aware programs such as rhythmbox now able to play)

To get the usb mic working this helped alot

http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/WalkThro ... /AlsaInOut

basically you start jack using only the onboard interface (most settings in the setup window should be set to "default")

alsa_out -d hw:1

alsa_in -d hw:1
hw:1 will be the device you want to use. easiest way to find this is in the qjackctl setup window in the interface drop-down thing.

you probably have to be a member of the audio group to use this. in case you arent

sudo adduser (your user name) audio
on the page I linked above it explains how you can tweak the alsa ins and outs samplerates etcetera. quite useful.

Hope this helps. Im sorted, thankfully! :D
Patchage_001.png
maciimacii

Re: Jack audio cannot connect to server socket

Post by maciimacii »

If an Audio device can't handle any more than 16 bit audio, then QJackCtl/Jack will give D-Bus and can't connect errors unless force 16 bits is checked in the QJackCtl preferences.

Also, Pulseaudio can cause Jack problems on Mint 14, choppy sound etc http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=134078

Return to “Sound”