Encoding Ripped DVD's to MP4 format with handbrake

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
headshrinker101

Encoding Ripped DVD's to MP4 format with handbrake

Post by headshrinker101 »

I have a Windows 7 machine with a 2TB External HDD on USB 2.0. I have been using "Ideal DVD Ripper" rip my DVD's to that HDD. There is no compression it's just a strait rip bit for bit as far as I know. The computer is networked to my Mint Machine and I can see all data on that HDD. The movies on that HDD are stored not as a single file but as a group of different files. My understanding is that it's like having the DVD on the HDD. The dir tree looks something like the following: G:/Movietitle/Video_TS/........ I want to take some of the movies and encode them to mp4 on my mint machine because the wireless connection isn't 100% relyable and VLC sometimes has problems with the large files. Most of the DVD's are 6-8 GB. How do I get Handbrake to see those files as a regular DVD?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Talegolas

Re: Encoding Ripped DVD's to MP4 format with handbrake

Post by Talegolas »

you need to create an ISO image based on those files. Instead of ripping them to VOBs (which i believe pretty much removes encryption) try to create an ISO image, then you can mount that ISO image in Mint and will see it as a DVD. Then you can use whatever you want to code it into a format you want.

Btw, not sure why you want to make handbrake see it as DVD, since Handbrake is able to load a folder and understand the DVD structure.

Let me know what the problem you are seeing is, as i have been decrypting DVDs using vobcopy and other command line tools lately, while converting to either matroska or M4V in handbrake (which is different than MP4 a bit)..and using avconv to swap them to MP4 and such.. just testing stuff.
headshrinker101

Post by headshrinker101 »

As it turns out the problem was the wireless connection. It was strong on both ends and is an "N" router but that much data over the network was above the abilities of the router to maintain a stable connection. I took the drive and plugged it into the computer like I should have done in the first place and it worked perfectly.
Talegolas

Post by Talegolas »

headshrinker101 wrote:As it turns out the problem was the wireless connection. It was strong on both ends and is an "N" router but that much data over the network was above the abilities of the router to maintain a stable connection. I took the drive and plugged it into the computer like I should have done in the first place and it worked perfectly.
So your solution was to fix your wireless connection and thus no need to encode your videos with handbrake? ...
travalon

Post by travalon »

Visit 'Afterdawn.com' check out their DVD converting forum found here.
http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/11
Lots of good stuff.

Return to “Sound”