which media player for me ?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lantesh

Re: which media player for me ?

Post by Lantesh »

I use Quod Libet. It's the most configurable player I've used, and it has the most powerful tag editor I've seen.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Mint 4? Go with Daryna-KDE and use Amarok.
Mint 4? Rollup to Mint 5. Banshee is a good gnome replacement for Amarok, but I find Amarok to be the best for me.

Partly depends on what features, in addition to playing music, you want to have. I have an iPod Classic, and I find that Amarok 1.4.9's support is unequalled. For my daughter's Nano (2G, non-video), I find lots of software that does an great job of support. If you don't need portable support, maybe you want streaming audio across a wlan. Amarok would be overkill for that.

But for audio on a laptop, no care of portable player support, I'd say Banshee.

Nevertheless, either upgrade to Daryna-KDE or upgrade to Elyssa. You won't be sorry.
cathbard

Post by cathbard »

I'm primarily an amarok man regardless of what desktop environment I happen to be using (and I use quite a few) but if your pc is REALLY slow you may want to have a look at XMMS and maybe Audacious. They are extremely light players that offer more than one would expect.
If loading your playlist is what is slow in amarok because it is large (amarok will handle ridiculously large playlists) you may want to look into using mysql instead of sqlite. It takes a bit of setting up but it makes a massive difference. And hey ... any day that you learn something new is a good day. :wink:
Another option that many people swear by is mpd with sonata as the front end. I haven't tried it yet myself but I know quite a few amarok users that have switched to it. Sonata is a gtk app too so it won't require all those extra qt libraries that amarok needs if you are using gnome.

And for video: on a slow system you just can't beat vlc. It is not only extremely light, it will also play some odd video formats that other players won't touch.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

dougrb wrote:Thanks for the replies everybody. I'll consider all when I get back from Florida in about 6 -7 days. :) I would like a bit of Mp3 player support, as I bought a Sansa Fuze (which is great, but a pain to tag files for) and also own a few other daps, which don't really need mtp support as they're both using ROCKbox and are ums compliant. Fast is key though, as this laptop is 6 years old.

Doug
Might I recommed EasyTag for tagging? You just open it, it scans your system, you close it and it asks if you want to tag all your MP3s... Easy.

Return to “Sound”