No sound laptop speakers, jack works fine

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kala

No sound laptop speakers, jack works fine

Post by kala »

can some1 help me to get sound working in my laptop, sound works well when I plugin in headphones or speakers, but sound dont work in laptop speakers.

Code: Select all

tamps@mafia ~ $ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 | grep Codec
Codec: Conexant CX20561 (Hermosa)

tamps@mafia ~ $ cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/info | grep name
name: CONEXANT Analog
subname: subdevice #0
Allso tryed to follow this tutorial https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto but there dont have my sound card CX20561

My alsa information http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=38c167e5c1ca0fb43af7916de0b47c021972c2e5

-- EDIT --

I have edited /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and checked all thows setups one by one, and then restart. options snd-hda-intel model=*
and checked every time after restart gnome-alsamixer that nothing isent muted. still no sound.

Conexant 5051  Hermosa/CX20561
=============
  laptop    Basic Laptop config (default)
  hp        HP Spartan laptop
  hp-dv6736    HP dv6736
  hp-f700    HP Compaq Presario F700
  ideapad    Lenovo IdeaPad laptop
  lenovo-x200    Lenovo X200 laptop
  toshiba    Toshiba Satellite M30
Allso I have allso tryed to removed pulseaudio from system thought that this maybe was problem, but problem still remains.

-- EDIT --

Did fresh install sound still dont work, headphones works fine, allso the sound dident work from live cd. allso tried bios reset but no success

-- EDIT --

I had this problem in mint 14, now updated to mint 15, but still have the same problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kala

Re: No sound laptop speakers, jack works fine

Post by kala »

Some1 ?

Updated my kernel to 3.12.6 but problem still remains.

Tryed to install oem-audio-hda-daily-dkms but it gives me strange error.

Selecting previously unselected package oem-audio-hda-daily-dkms.
(Reading database ... 214439 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking oem-audio-hda-daily-dkms (from .../oem-audio-hda-daily-dkms_0.201312300448~ubuntu13.04.1_all.deb) ...
Setting up oem-audio-hda-daily-dkms (0.201312300448~ubuntu13.04.1) ...
Loading new oem-audio-hda-daily-0.201312300448~ubuntu13.04.1 DKMS files...
First Installation: checking all kernels...
Building only for 3.12.6-031206-generic
Building for architecture amd64
Building initial module for 3.12.6-031206-generic
Error!  The dkms.conf for this module includes a BUILD_EXCLUSIVE directive which
does not match this kernel/arch.  This indicates that it should not be built.
Done.
any help plz :oops:
softbeehive

Post by softbeehive »

Hello,

I had exactly the same problem on my Asus N550JV laptop / Mint 16 Petra Cinnamon. This issue happenned after installing updates. There were several packages updated, so I decided to look at alsa first. What I did maybe is not the ideal way proposed over here http://itsfoss.com/fix-sound-ubuntu-1304-quick-tip/

It removed few linked packages like cinnamon-control-center, nemo-fileroller and something else, when cinnamon refused to load I was given a list of broken packages (popup with ./xsession info). Ctrl+Alt+F1 and I reinstalled those packages using apt-get. After that, everything works well, maybe you won't have any additional troubles, I described my case.

Hope it will be helpful
lawrencemaria

Post by lawrencemaria »

I have the problem on my Sony vaio vpcz138gg - running linux mint 16 KDE.
Tried searching for the last whole month for solutions - no luck yet.
inxi -A
Audio: Card-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
Card-2: NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.11.0-12-generic
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

Did fresh install sound still dont work, headphones works fine, allso the sound dident work from live cd. allso tried bios reset but no success
somehow it sounds like a hardware problem.
Nirgal

Post by Nirgal »

I have a similar, related issue, except that it happens in Mint 15.

After I updated the system, the audio starts fine but suddenly and without warning it mutes and nothing I do can bring it back. It works fine in the speakers, however. If I restart the system the audio works fine for a while and then mutes again.

I'm pretty new at this, so I'm not sure what kind of solution I should try.

I attepmted to do alsa-force-reload and I got this:

Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-seq-midi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-hda-codec-conexant snd-hda-intel snd-hda-codec snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-page-alloc snd-timer (failed: modules still loaded: snd-hda-codec-conexant snd-hda-intel snd-hda-codec snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-page-alloc snd-timer).
Loading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-seq-midi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-hda-codec-conexant snd-hda-intel snd-hda-codec snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-page-alloc snd-timer.
I'm not sure if the "failed" part is related.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

The basic problem for those sound problems is a too new kernel and old laptop. For example Fujitsu Siemens Amilo La1703 works only with 2.6.38 kernel. With the newer kernels there has no sound on the laptop speaker (even via external speaker sound is working).
cforput1

Post by cforput1 »

I'm having the same problem and only posting this in hopes that someone can figure out a fix because I have tried and tried. The one thing that no one else has mentioned is that after the sounds stops working (1-3 minutes after booting) if I close my laptop and open it back up, the sound comes back for a short period of time and then goes out again. I can open and close the laptop and it will continue to come on for a while then shut off again.

Very strange - very frustrating

I'd like to install the DKMS audio to see if that works but when I follow the directions (link below) and try to run it with the software center, it doesn't do anything.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/UpgradingAlsa/DKMS

My laptop is about 3 years old. Toshiba Satellite L655-S5150 running Mint 16 and 3.11.0-12-generic #19-Ubuntu kernel. I want to file a bug but can't get past the DKMS install to try all the troubleshooting steps first.
Sebamus

Post by Sebamus »

Hi there, I'm having the same problem, with the mentioned Amilo 1703, after changing from XP to Mint 13 xfce. Administrollaattori writes that the problem is too new a kernel - so what can I do now? Do I have to reinstall an older version (which one?) or is it possible to "downgrade" the kernel within the existing installation? Can anyone advise what to do? I like Linuxmint very much, have been using it on my other machine for years now, so I'd like to stick to it, if possible.

Thanks in advance!
weicco

Post by weicco »

Being not a linux-guru I managed to get some sound out of my Amilo la1703's speaker, yes there's only 1 internal, & probably only some hundreds of mW,s. After some laborious trial-error playing with "hda-retask..."-program the sound chip (or the amplifier?) finally yielded and started working, its sound quality is another matter though. If you have enough nerves to read through the bug report to the very end: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1225622 you may find help. My amilo 1703 has had debian since lenny & kernel versions 2.6. (=sound pretty ok) and now upgraded to 3.12-something, which led to a complete external silence, except that the headphone jack worked ok. As mint is afaik an offspring of the deb-family you may find the report useful. No kernel upgrade, alsamodules, hda-snd attributes (at least those I tried), aplay etc. helped but the mentioned hda-retask-program.
Hope this helps and not resulting in a completely non working laptop.
If someone got the chip working with some magic snd-hda-intel module settings it would be nice to know how, and whether this is the correct module.
lawrencemaria

Post by lawrencemaria »

weicco wrote:Being not a linux-guru I managed to get some sound out of my Amilo la1703's speaker, yes there's only 1 internal, & probably only some hundreds of mW,s. After some laborious trial-error playing with "hda-retask..."-program the sound chip (or the amplifier?) finally yielded and started working, its sound quality is another matter though. If you have enough nerves to read through the bug report to the very end: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1225622 you may find help. My amilo 1703 has had debian since lenny & kernel versions 2.6. (=sound pretty ok) and now upgraded to 3.12-something, which led to a complete external silence, except that the headphone jack worked ok. As mint is afaik an offspring of the deb-family you may find the report useful. No kernel upgrade, alsamodules, hda-snd attributes (at least those I tried), aplay etc. helped but the mentioned hda-retask-program.
If someone got the chip working with some magic snd-hda-intel module settings it would be nice to know how, and whether this is the correct module.
For me installation of linux mint 17 (both cinnamon & KDE) solved the problem of "no sound laptop speakers, jack works fine".
Would you mind trying it? You might have to change the audio output setting from the "sound" applet on the taskbar if incase you continue to have the problem.
daniel227

Post by daniel227 »

weicco wrote:Being not a linux-guru I managed to get some sound out of my Amilo la1703's speaker, yes there's only 1 internal, & probably only some hundreds of mW,s. After some laborious trial-error playing with "hda-retask..."-program the sound chip (or the amplifier?) finally yielded and started working, its sound quality is another matter though. If you have enough nerves to read through the bug report to the very end: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1225622 you may find help. My amilo 1703 has had debian since lenny & kernel versions 2.6. (=sound pretty ok) and now upgraded to 3.12-something, which led to a complete external silence, except that the headphone jack worked ok. As mint is afaik an offspring of the deb-family you may find the report useful. No kernel upgrade, alsamodules, hda-snd attributes (at least those I tried), aplay etc. helped but the mentioned hda-retask-program.
i use the same laptop and had the same problem.
i've searched for solutions for days, and this is what solved it.
i had the problem across all distros i installed on this laptop, and i think the solution also applies to all - at least debian-based.
fyi, it's enough to read and apply this and tuomas jäntti's comments further down (i added a command to execute the saved script at boot time to /etc/rc.local).

this is an important piece of information, and it was harder to find because of all the noise created by people who think you can solve everything by upgrading to the newest kernel or whatnot (which makes absolutely no sense for a piece of hardware that old), instead of using your brain and getting your fingers dirty.
thanks to weicco.

Return to “Sound”