Newb Question: Firefox updates Destroy Mplayer

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Newb Question: Firefox updates Destroy Mplayer

Postby gobuchul74 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:52 am

Ok, I'm a newb to linux, but linux mint+beryl+wine+dosbox is awesome, and I'm loving it.

So far I've learned to do frequent backups, which have saved me multiple times, including this problem. Here's one that I can't seem to fix.

I have the notification of some firefox updates. Whenever I install the updates the mplayer plugin is destroyed. How do I update firefox and fix the m player plugin? Should I just not do the update? The only way I've fixed it so far is to restore my system from a backup, but them I don't' have the updated version of firefox.

Thanks for your help.
gobuchul74
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Newb Question: Firefox updates Destroy Mplayer

Postby scorp123 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:41 am

gobuchul74 wrote:Whenever I install the updates the mplayer plugin is destroyed.
What if you reinstall the mplayer plugin? Could be that during the Firefox update some files get overwritten so the new Firefox can't see the Mplayer plugin anymore. Reinstalling the Mplayer plugin would fix this I guess? I agree ... it's not the optimum solution. :?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby gobuchul74 on Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:33 am

I looked in the package manager for the mplayer plugin, but I could not find it. I also tried Automatix but that didnt work either? I'll try again tonight and see what happens. Thanks.
gobuchul74
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hairy_Palms on Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:20 pm

mplayer plugin is called mozilla-mplayer in synaptic
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs