Video Playback Help

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Video Playback Help

Postby chowanec on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:46 am

Hey all,

I just got a snazzy new television installed in the living room (yay!) -- 1080p, 46 inch Samsung. Totally happy with the TV. Not totally happy with my video playback.

Just playing back backed up DVD images off my media server (Long Way Round - http://longwayround.com/html/lwr_dvm.html effing RULES!) the video playsback at a horrible rate -- seems to drop frames everywhere. I've tried this both on my NVidia Box (Dual Core) and my Mini-Itx box (VIA Openchrome, 1ghz... *blush*) -- but they both have the same basic result. I'm using VLC and just dragging and dropping the ISO.

Am I totally stupid and doing something silly? I have no Compiz running on the ITX box, and compiz running on the NVidia box. Again, same basic results...

It's a 720x480 video running in full-screen mode in vlc (1080p). I can deal with pixelation, but the choppiness is driving me nuts.

Any ideas?

-Chow
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Video Playback Help

Postby Husse on Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:10 pm

A few more details please
You play it off your media server you say. Do I understand you right that this is networked to two other computers?
Also I have seen problems with dragging and dropping - what happens if you open the ISO from the menu?
What happens with other file formats (mp2 mp3 vob flac what have you)
Sorry for the late answer - I hoped someone with experience with a media server would answer
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby MagnusB on Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:58 pm

And a bit more clarification, you have Compiz enabled on a media server? Try disabling that, first.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby chowanec on Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:34 pm

You play it off your media server you say. Do I understand you right that this is networked to two other computers?
Also I have seen problems with dragging and dropping - what happens if you open the ISO from the menu?
What happens with other file formats (mp2 mp3 vob flac what have you)
Sorry for the late answer - I hoped someone with experience with a media server would answer

Yes -- media server is networked.
Same results when opening the ISO from the file menu.
Other formats work fine. Amarok holds steady as ever.

And a bit more clarification, you have Compiz enabled on a media server? Try disabling that, first.

Don't hate me -- the media server is a windows box. It's the only one left in the house. And that's because I rely on Mozy. http://www.mozy.com They don't have a linux client yet... :P
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Postby premiumalex on Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:59 pm

Are you using the native Linux video drivers, or the EnvyNG drivers? From my experience (as an ATI card owner, mind you), each driver works better/worse for different things. If you're using the drivers pulled from EnvyNG, I would suggest trying the native Linux drivers. Who knows--maybe it'll help speed things up a bit!
premiumalex
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs