No Sound Linux Mint 15

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

No Sound Linux Mint 15

Postby Keith.A on Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:00 am

I have just aquired a HP D530 desktop, Pentium 4 with 1gb ram. Having done some research I settled on Linux Mint as a distro. The D530 previously had windows xp pro installed on it and the internal sound worked fine.

I have now installed Linux Mint 15 (Olivia) Mate, on it, wiping out the windows. Seems great except no sound from built in speaker. I have made sure nothing is muted in "Control Centre" "Sounds". Under "Hardware" it shows only one device to configure, "Built in Audio" 1 Output/1 Input. Default profile is Analogue Stereo Duplex. I have also tried the other profiles offered.

I found some info about opening the Terminal window and typing "alsamixer" .

I open AlsaMixer and unmute Master and move the Master Volume from 0 to max. Now I have plenty of sound. Unfortunately, every reboot returns the master volume to 0 and muted.

After some research, it seemed the consensus was to reset the Master Volume in alsamixer, then enter the Terminal and do:

sudo alsactl store

Supposedly, this saves the alsa configuration, which reportedly loads on each boot.
Sadly, this does not work for me.

The sound device shows up under alsamixer as Intel ICH5 Chip AD1981B.

Has any one any suggestions?
Keith.A
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: No Sound Linux Mint 15

Postby hectorsales on Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:03 am

Hi, Try one of these solutions:

gksudo pluma /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf. At the end of file add:

options snd-hda-intel model=basic

Reboot.

If it does not work again as before gksudo ........

options snd-hda-intel model=hp

Reboot

options snd-hda-intel model=thinkpad

Reboot

options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba

Reboot

This is the information that corresponds to your chip:( AD1981)

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentatio ... Models.txt

Model----------------------->Description

basic -------------------------->3-jack (default)
hp------------------------------>HP nx6320
thinkpad--------------------->Lenovo Thinkpad T60/X60/Z60
toshiba----------------------->Toshiba U205

Best regards
Linux Mint 13 LTS Mate 64 Bytes
hectorsales
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Keith.A on Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:02 pm

OK. Many Thanks, but none of those options work for me. I tried each one individually.

alsamixer is always reset across a reboot, the master volume goes back to zero and is muted.
Keith.A
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Keith.A on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:17 am

Additional information, I've just realised, that it doesn't survive across a log out either.

Log Out, Log back in and alsamixer has reset again to muted and zero level. Is alsamixer a red herring here?

Would I be better off with Cinamon rather than Mate? Help.
Keith.A
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Keith.A on Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:12 am

OK. Cinamon doesn't work for me, I just get a blue screen. I guess the graphics isn't supported. So I have installed Mint 13 (Mate) Maya to try instead.

The results are just the same. No sound until I run alsamixer and unmute the master volume. If I log in the terminal window as root, and make the changes to alsamixer then do a alsactl store, it survives across a log out/log in, but always resets across a re-boot.

Surely there must be some one who can tell me how to save the alsamixer settings permanently?? Please........
Keith.A
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Keith.A on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:15 pm

As a "Newbie" to Linux Mint, and very little experience with Linux at all, I find it incredible that no one has been able to help me resolve this problem. There appears to be hundreds of issues with sound. I cannot believe that with something that is supposed to be a desktop distro to replace Windows, that there are this many problems with sound.

Anyways, to help those who are having similar problems to myself, I have found a work around.

This is a workaround, not so much of a fix.

1.) Open up a terminal, manually adjust the mixer settings to something that is a good default for your audio needs. These settings will be loaded every time you restart your computer.

In Terminal Window:-

su (log in as root)
alsamixer

Un-Mute Master Volume (or whichever is the problem) (toggle “M”) and set volume (up arrow)

Exit from alsamixer using Esc key

2.) Enter the command "alsactl store" (without the quotes). This stores your mixer settings in /var/lib/alsa/asound.state for later use.

alsactl store

3.) From The MATE desktop menu, go to Menu/Applications/All/Startup Applications

4.) “Add” to add additional startup program. Enter the command "alsactl restore" (without the quotes) and the name and description of your choice. This causes the "alsactl restore" command to automatically run when you start your computer. The command restores you mixer settings from /var/lib/alsa/asound.state where you saved them earlier.

Hope this helps. Works for me across log outs/in's and reboots.
Keith.A
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sunnystormy on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:06 am

Is the OP pressing "ctrl+X" so that the changes in the "alsa-base.conf" file are being saved? If not, that could explain a lack of resolution.

Other than that, I'd recommend googling for the right product code for your sound card. That's what I had to do for my machine...

Good luck!
sunnystormy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gopher38 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:15 pm

Thanks to Keith for that work around. I've the D530 also, and since moving from Ubuntu, I've found two problems. This one, which you've helped to "solve" with this work around, and a video problem. Still working on that.
gopher38
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs