Mint 15 can't play .cda file

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint 15 can't play .cda file

Postby computerguybry on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:42 pm

I moved some tracks from a cd I had ripped on a PC and tried to open in my newly installed Linux Mint 15 and get the message that it could not display and "There is no application installed for RIFF audio files. Do you want to search for an application to open this file?"

I tried a search in software manager but no success.

Any help? Is it possible to convert? Thanks!!!
computerguybry
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint 15 can't play .cda file

Postby computerguybry on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:55 pm

Now I get message that Caja requires to install software to open files of the following file type: RIFF audio. My only action item is "Cancel" which of course does me no good.

Any ideas??

thanks
computerguybry
Level 3
Level 3

Postby chiefjim on Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:12 am

You may wish to try Playmidi which can be found in Synaptic. Descrition there shows:

"Playmidi is a MIDI file player that will play back using FM, GUS,
SoundBlaster or external MIDI. It also supports Creative Music Files
(CMF), Microsoft RIFF (RMI) files and large MIDI archives from games
such as Ultima 7.

The player may be used with a text interface or a graphical interface."
Desktop:
Mint-17 64 bit with Mate
Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
AMD Athlon II X3 425
CORSAIR 4GB DDR2 800
640GB HDD WD Black 7200rpm

Laptop:
Acer Aspire AS5552-5898
Mint-17 64 bit with Mate
AMD Phenom II Triple-Core N830
4GB Memory DDR3
500GB HDD 5400rpm
chiefjim
Level 4
Level 4

Postby MartyMint on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:04 am

computerguybry wrote:I moved some tracks from a cd I had ripped on a PC...

The file extension .cda indicates that it's not the actual musical file you have.
.cda is something like a "symbolic link". You just copied the tracks over from a mounted disk to your computer, not actually "ripped" them.

When you right-click the .cda file and check properties, what does it report as the file size?
MartyMint
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Orbmiser on Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:24 am

MartyMint wrote:
computerguybry wrote:I moved some tracks from a cd I had ripped on a PC...

The file extension .cda indicates that it's not the actual musical file you have.
.cda is something like a "symbolic link". You just copied the tracks over from a mounted disk to your computer, not actually "ripped" them.

When you right-click the .cda file and check properties, what does it report as the file size?

+1 to MartyMint as those .cda are not the actual tracks you need to use a proper program that rips Audio CD's to Mp3,AAC,Wav,ogg type formats. You just can't copy the .cda manually over to the hardrive.

Each .CDA file is a kind of a pointer to the location of a specific track on the CD and contains no musical information. CDA files are all 44 bytes in length and each contain track times plus a special shortcut that allows users to access the specific audio tracks.

So if .CDA files contain no musical information, what happens if you "copy" a .CDA from an audio CD to your hard drive and then double click it?

If the CD is still in the drive then the corresponding track will play from the CD. If you remove the CD you will get an error message. That's because the .CDA file contain no music, it only points to where the music is located on the CD.

To work with music tracks on your CD you need first to convert them to .WAV, .MP3 or another file format that computers understand. That's what a CD ripper does and that's why you must use a ripper before you can work with your music files on a computer. Simple as that.
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs