HDMI audio out

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
--weezl--

HDMI audio out

Post by --weezl-- »

so this is weird, I can't get my HDMI's audio working, it was working just fine when I installed linux. I would plug my laptop into my TV and watch TV shows like normal, but recently, the audio hasn't been working. I can get the audio for what ever I'm playing, to come out of the laptop speakers, but not the HDMI port.

I have also never been able to get the headphone jack to work.

any thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: HDMI audio out

Post by nomko »

First I would like to point out the following to you: read the [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444]forum rules and especially rule #5[/url].

Okay, after saying this, we need more information about your system. Can you execute the following terminal command and copy/paste the output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fx

HDMI audio/video problems seems to be a common problem. There's a lot of topics here on this forum about this issue.
--weezl--

Post by --weezl-- »

sorry about not including the details, I honestly thought I had it included somewhere on my profile (signature or info next to my name)

Code: Select all

System:    Host Weezl-notebook Kernel 2.6.38-8-generic-pae i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint 11 Katya
CPU:       Dual core AMD Athlon II M300 (-MCP-) cache 1024 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips 7979.66 
           Clock Speeds: (1) 800.00 MHz (2) 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card ATI M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200] X.Org 1.10.1 Res: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series GLX Version 3.3.10665 Compatibility Profile Context Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card-1 ATI RS880 Audio Device [Radeon HD 4200] driver HDA Intel BusID: 01:05.1
           Card-2 ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver HDA Intel BusID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.23
Network:   Card-1 Atheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver ath9k BusID: 02:00.0
           Card-2 Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI at port 2000 BusID: 03:00.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (37.3% used) 1: /dev/sda Hitachi_HTS54502 250.1GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 226G used: 87G (41%) fs: ext4 ID:swap-1 size: 4.02GB used: 0.01GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 58.1C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes 172 Uptime 7 days Memory 873.3/3771.2MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23 
--weezl--

Post by --weezl-- »

Not sure if anyone has any ideas for me as to why this has happened, but as an alternative to HDMI sound, I tried to use the headphone output on my laptop to hook to a stereo, and couldn't seem to get that working either. I tried going into the audio settings and manually changing the output device from "analog speakers" to both "analog output" and "analog headphones" to no avail, it just ceases to play any audio, none out of the speakers, not out of the HDMI, and none out of the headphone jack either...

it is worth mentioning that I have tried the headphone jack prior to the problem in the first post (albeit not with changing the output device) and it has not worked.

additionally, in sound preferences, under hardware, if I go to the "test speakers" button, the test does nothing, no matter what the setting is, not out of the internal speakers, nor the headphone jack. I have not tried the test on HDMI, as I am at work with my laptop tonight, and i don't have an HDMI device I can connect it to.
TxLnx

Post by TxLnx »

Mint 15 doesn't play well with Radeon HD 4200 integrated GPU, which looks to be what you have. I have experienced the same HDMI issues with my Dell Inspiron 570. Found a fix for Mint 13, but never could get it to work in Mint 15. So I just stayed with 13 since it's an LTS release that works very well and trouble free for me. I think driver support for the HD 4200 (RS880) gets a bit iffy beyond kernel 3.4 from what I've read. I see from your printout that you're using LM 11, so you might try this fix that I used for LM 13: http://askubuntu.com/questions/67113/no-sound-on-hdmi-with-radeon-driver
--weezl--

Post by --weezl-- »

i'll give that a try if I can get the computer working again... it seems not to want to boot up, i'll head over to my harddrive thread, because i think that's the problem...

it's still odd that it was working then suddenly stopped, isn't it though?
nomko

Post by nomko »

There's a solution proived [url=http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=130619]here[/url].
--weezl--

Post by --weezl-- »

@nomko, thanks for the reply, but that thread shows a different problem than mine, his issue was video stopped working, my video works just fine, the audio doesn't. Up until yesterday afternoon (hard drive failure) I was watchin tv on the laptop, I just needed the audio to play of the laptop speakers, instead out of the tv...
Total_Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Total_Blue »

Not sure if you have previously done this as you said the audio was previously working. If you had done it, maybe there was a grub update that overwrote your file.

Edit /etc/default/grub and change this line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to this line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.audio=1"

Now run "sudo update-grub", then reboot your computer.

I run a laptop with a built in Radeon 4250, and have to do the above to get HDMI sound to work. It's worked for me in Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon and Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon, both 64 bit.
--weezl--

Post by --weezl-- »

not sure if that will work. i'm not going to worry about trying to fix it, my hard drive has since crashed, it's been failing for almost a year, i did manage to get it to boot back up, ran a check of the disk and have over 1 million sectors bad, (1 reading is 1.1m and another is 1.7m) so i've got a new hard drive on the way, and recovery disks for windows 7 (lack of disks was what prompted me to go to linux in the first case)

i am not 100% sure if i'm going to run a windows 7/linux dual boot or if i'm just going to run windows exclusively... but if i do the dual boot i think i'm going to mainly use windows for syncing my iphone

Return to “Sound”