Some DVD movies won't play

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nevart

Some DVD movies won't play

Post by Nevart »

I have this problem that certain DVD movies (but not all) won't play in any of the media players because it says it can't decrypt them. It works fine for some movies but not others. What do I need to install to get things so that this will work properly?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Some DVD movies won't play

Post by DrHu »

Depends on dvd format and protection, some will be more problematic than others, and just like some dvd consumer players, may not correctly play all dvd media !
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Restr ... ayAndHDDVD
http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-play-dvd-under-ubuntu/
--there is a general decryption program available, that's the first thing to check out..
Nevart

Post by Nevart »

Thanks. I think I am getting somewhere with fixing this. Apparently it is a problem if the region code is not set, but the regionset software tries path /dev/dvd which does not seem to exist in Mint 14. It maps the DVD path to some other place, but I have no idea where.
Nevart

Post by Nevart »

Partially solved problem...

This is very complicated.

Firstly you need to download regionset

Then you need to find where your DVD player is on the system.

In my case it was /dev/disk/by-id/[name of dvd player]

That path will be different for individual systems.

Then you need to sudo regionset [path to dvd player]

If the region code is set wrong, you can select Y to change and then put the correct region code for the disk you want to play. Note that the DVD player region code can only be changed a limited number of times, then it becomes locked and you have to replace the entire drive if you move to a new region.

After performing the above steps the media players no longer delivered the error messages, and attempted to play the content. However.... the content does not play well, it is distorted. A very disappointing result, however it is worth noting that this was in fact the solution to the actual problem of not being able to play the disk, Now I have to work out how to fix the playback so it looks right. That's a new task!
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

did you install the

ubuntu-restricted-extras package ?

if not, try putting this on let us know what happens
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Return to “Sound”