(Solved) Quieter sound with Daryna and Hardy than Windows

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

(Solved) Quieter sound with Daryna and Hardy than Windows

Postby huntwell on Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:42 pm

When I play videos from msnbc.com or youtube, etc. the sound is much quieter with Elyssa and Hardy than with Windows. Elyssa is even quieter playback than Hardy and much, much quieter than Windows. Even with the volume at maximum, it is sometimes difficult to hear what is being said on the video. I have also noticed that when I try to play a video from msnbc.com, it doesn't load properly and I have to go to another video first and then go back to the one I wanted to play in order for it to load. Another thing I have noticed is that the video playback sometimes flickers. I am attributing that to Compiz-Fusion, but I also had Compiz-Fusion installed on Hardy and did not have the same issue with video playback flickering with Flash media. Does anyone have any idea as to why there are discrepancies with Elyssa and not with Hardy?

Anyone have any suggestions as to what may be the problems and how to fix them? I looked for any threads that may be applicable to this issue in both the Mint and Ubuntu forums, but didn't see anything. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, nice job on Elyssa. I was originally a convert to Ubuntu Gutsy, but switched to Daryna a short time later. I installed Hardy as soon as a stable version was out and liked it very much, but have now converted back to Mint with Elyssa. I am enjoying it very much.

Thanks in advance,
Huntwell
Last edited by huntwell on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huntwell
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Quieter sound with Daryna and Hardy than Windows-any fixes?

Postby huntwell on Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:32 pm

Another strange thing I have noticed is that when certain pages load, including this forum page, the mouse sometimes jumps all over the screen and not where I am moving it to. If someone could help me with this as well, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Huntwell
huntwell
Level 1
Level 1

Postby msuggs on Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:08 pm

huntwell wrote: Even with the volume at maximum, it is sometimes difficult to hear what is being said on the video.

Just checking but have adjusted the PCM level as well. Right click on the volume icon and choose 'Open Volume Control'. Adjust the volume settings there and see if it makes a difference.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby eeezzzeee on Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:44 am

I have noticed the same thing with my elyssa/daryna and windows dual boot setups. I was always curious about it, but i just assumed that it was something with linux drivers or soemthing. I usually just turn my sppeakers down on the rare occasion when i boot into windows. I would be curious to know what causes the difference though.

*Edit to add-

I tried the right clicking and opening volume control panel, and sure enough the slider for "front" was slightly down, i moved that up and I had sound equaling my windows partition. Thanks for the info.
"If it's stupid and it works.... it's not stupid"
eeezzzeee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby huntwell on Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:06 pm

Thanks for the tip omns! I adjusted the PCM level to maximum and it did help a lot, the volume is much louder now. I think this solved the volume issue. Now that the volume has been taken care of, if anyone can suggest ways to solve the video problem I am having, everything would be perfect!
huntwell
Level 1
Level 1

Postby msuggs on Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:24 pm

By default Elyssa seems to have more effects switched on in Compiz than Hardy. Maybe that is causing your video problems.

A sure way to test would be to turn of compiz altogether and see if that is what is causing it. To turn it off, go to the 'Appearance' control panel in the Control Center and click on the 'Visual Effects' tab. Select the 'none' option then test your videos again. If compiz is causing it you could then turn features back on slowly and test which ones are causing the problem using the Appearance control panel or the Simple CompizConfig control panel.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby huntwell on Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:12 pm

I turned off compiz and played the videos and it worked much better. However, it is still a little glitchy and even with compiz turned off I routinely have to click on the video more than once or go to another video on the list and then go back to the one I want to see in order for it to play properly.

Not sure what to make of that problem. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Huntwell
huntwell
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs