Very Odd Video Problem needs help

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Very Odd Video Problem needs help

Postby Mediasadness on Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:51 am

I had been using mint 4 for a few months and three days ago I decided to wipe my computer and do a fresh install of Elyssa. I love it. Yesterday i noticed that whenever I open a video (any media player, any video file type) it sometimes shows a .2 second clip of the video I want to watch and then just goes to a black screen, and continues to show the black screen for the remainder of the video. I installed the K-lite codec pack to try and fix it, I also tried reinstalling my ATI video drivers via Envy-ng. Nothing worked, but I found an even more confusing and frusturating part of the problem: If I have any video 'playing' with its black screen, as long as its actually 'playing' I can open any video in any media player (my choices are totem, vlc, mplayer) and it will play just fine.
Has anyone seen this, and what can I do to fix it, thanks! :)
Mediasadness

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Very Odd Video Problem needs help

Postby 67GTA on Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:49 pm

Do you have desktop effects/compiz running. If so , try turning them off.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Mediasadness on Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:55 pm

Ok, I tried turning all desktop effects off and still the same problem exists. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. :?
Mediasadness

Postby craigmac on Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:30 am

Hi, this problem happens a lot and is trivial to fix.

I saw that you are using VLC media player. Excellent - the fix is about three mouseclicks.

Open VLC, click on Settings -> Preferences and in the bottom right corner of the window tick the box to enable Advanced Options

Then in the menu on the side Click on Video -> Output Modules and a drop down box will appear on the main panel to the right. Select X11 video output from the list then Save and you're done.

Videos will play perfectly whilst Compiz effects are running. Try watching a video whilst rotating the Desktop Cube. There's some wow factor 8)
craigmac
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs