Varying DVD quality to fit disc.

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Varying DVD quality to fit disc.

Postby iironjade on Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:52 pm

Do any of the many dvd authoring/ burning applications available in Linux have a way of reducing the image quality so that a 3 hour video can go on to a 2 hour disc?
The Windows version of Nero does it but not the Linux one (which may explain why it's so cheap) and so far none of the native Linux apps seem able to do it. Am I missing something or is a separate application (assuming one exists) needed to do this? :?
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:51 am
Location: London UK

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Varying DVD quality to fit disc.

Postby Husse on Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:08 am

You could google for
mp2 converters linux
ffmpeg is a command line tool that should do it and there are more - lame perhaps
Image
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 19710
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:22 am
Location: Near Borås Sweden

Re: Varying DVD quality to fit disc.

Postby iironjade on Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:03 am

Thanks, I'd about given up hope of anyone suggesting anything. It's the only major snag I've found with Linux so far. :)
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:51 am
Location: London UK

Re: Varying DVD quality to fit disc.

Postby drizake on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:42 am

Install Devede from the package manager. It creates DVDs from a variety of video file formats and allows you to adjust the quality to fit the disc.
drizake
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:56 am
Location: Newark, Ohio

Re: Varying DVD quality to fit disc.

Postby iironjade on Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:44 pm

drizake wrote:Install Devede from the package manager. It creates DVDs from a variety of video file formats and allows you to adjust the quality to fit the disc.


I have DeVeDe and I've used it a lot but I can't see any way of altering the quality. What am i missing? :?
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:51 am
Location: London UK

Re: Varying DVD quality to fit disc.

Postby drizake on Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:46 pm

You can set the video and audio rate for each file...
drizake
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:56 am
Location: Newark, Ohio

Re: Varying DVD quality to fit disc.

Postby iironjade on Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:12 pm

I finally solved this one: DVDFlick has a one click "autofit" facility which is much simpler to use than any of the others. Life is good. :D
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:51 am
Location: London UK

Re: Varying DVD quality to fit disc.

Postby Lantesh on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:05 am

I'm a bit late here since you've found a solution, but I thought I'd throw another name at you. Take a look at K9Copy. It rips and shrinks to your size preference all in one simple operation.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: Varying DVD quality to fit disc.

Postby solar1951 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:54 am

iironjade wrote:I finally solved this one: DVDFlick has a one click "autofit" facility which is much simpler to use than any of the others. Life is good. :D

Am I missing something ? DVDflick seems to be for windows only ?
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:14 am
Location: France

Re: Varying DVD quality to fit disc.

Postby iironjade on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:13 am

solar1951 wrote:
iironjade wrote:I finally solved this one: DVDFlick has a one click "autofit" facility which is much simpler to use than any of the others. Life is good. :D

Am I missing something ? DVDflick seems to be for windows only ?


It works under WINE but not fully. It doesn't recognise my dvd burners or create menus and it looks horrible but, amazingly, it does exactly what I want. :D
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:51 am
Location: London UK

Re: Varying DVD quality to fit disc.

Postby iironjade on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:17 am

Lantesh wrote:I'm a bit late here since you've found a solution, but I thought I'd throw another name at you. Take a look at K9Copy. It rips and shrinks to your size preference all in one simple operation.


Thanks for the suggestion but I couldn't figure out how to do it with K9Copy or indeed, any of the others. DVDFlick however, did just what I needed with a minimum of fuss. :D
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:51 am
Location: London UK

Re: Varying DVD quality to fit disc.

Postby solar1951 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:26 am

iironjade wrote:
solar1951 wrote:
iironjade wrote:I finally solved this one: DVDFlick has a one click "autofit" facility which is much simpler to use than any of the others. Life is good. :D

Am I missing something ? DVDflick seems to be for windows only ?


It works under WINE but not fully. It doesn't recognise my dvd burners or create menus and it looks horrible but, amazingly, it does exactly what I want. :D


I use Tovid suite of scripts. You can either use the GUI Tovid GUI fancy (todisc) which will create fancy menus to your hearts content and if you go to the "General" tab and then "Custom tovid options" and type "-ffmpeg -fit 4300" - without the quotes - it will use ffmpeg to recode your video and calculate the frame rate to fit to a 4.3Gb DVD

Tovid is available from the Ubuntu Hardy repos via synaptic.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:14 am
Location: France

Re: Varying DVD quality to fit disc.

Postby iironjade on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:47 am

Thanks.I did look at Tovid which I installed during my quest but couldn't see how to adjust the quality settings. How did you find out how to do it? There doesn't seem to be a manual anywhere. :?
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:51 am
Location: London UK

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests