question about codecs packaged with mint

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

question about codecs packaged with mint

Postby iamclueless on Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:24 am

one of the things i initially liked about Linux Mint was it was out of the box easier to set up than Ubuntu... detected, mounted and dual-booted the WindowsXP hard drive, and the codecs where included - allowing me to play almost everything ive thrown at it.

my question now is: What codecs are actually included with mint and what does each one do? is there a list somewhere?

thanks
iamclueless
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: question about codecs packaged with mint

Postby CavalierBob on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:40 pm

The W32codecs and Gstreamer handle most, if not all, of the video and audio codecs:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/codecs-status.html

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/docume ... ugins.html

Remember, depending where you are located in the world it may not be legal to use some of these codecs. :wink: In that case, you should download the Lite version of Mint which has removed the offending files.

Bob
All progress requires change, but not all change is progress.
--Henry Steele Commager

...there are some...who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those...who use their careers to promote change.
--Sarah Palin
CavalierBob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby iamclueless on Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:37 pm

is there a package list of mint vs mint lite???

i would like to know which packages are packed with mint and what each package is actually for.
iamclueless
Level 2
Level 2

Postby iamclueless on Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:38 pm

oops ill be specific

the packages in mint that are not in mint lite...
iamclueless
Level 2
Level 2

Postby CavalierBob on Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:46 am

Well, this FAQ contains about the best (and only) explanation of why the Light edition and what is not in it:

http://www.linuxmint.com/faq.php

And anything not installed in the Light edition by default can be added back in by the end user.

To be perfectly frank, and meaning no offense, I am trying to understand why it is so important to know what each and every bloody codec does? As I am sure you know, each one decodes a given audio/video file format. If you looked at the links for W32codecs & Gstreamer I shared, so many of the codecs listed are corner cases that most average users (me for sure, perhaps you?) will never see nor use in our lifetimes.

Is there a particular use case you need? Have you run across a audio/video file you have that Mint cannot play?
All progress requires change, but not all change is progress.
--Henry Steele Commager

...there are some...who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those...who use their careers to promote change.
--Sarah Palin
CavalierBob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby iamclueless on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:46 am

linux for me has been about having choices or at least the option of changing what is prepackaged with a system...

I know Mint comes with the codecs pre-packaged.. but do i necessarily want ALL the codecs???? If i was to start say from Mint-lite... i am aware that i could just grab the metapackage for gstreamer or xine and w32codecs and libdvdcss2... that would more than likely allow me to play anyhing i want. But again do i need all of it???? On old computers with no DVD drives or CD-RW or tiny hard drives these things matter. Why have codecs you dont need (or cant use).

if you do a Debian or Ubuntu (maybe a Mint one will come in the future) base install - you dont have these multimedia packages installed... To simply drop a codec metapackage that gives you everything defeats the purpose of a minimal install where you control what goes into your system.

Mint has been good in that it has allowed me to play 99% of media formats without doing anything to it. id like to see why...

I could dpkg -l and go through every package... but i know I WILL miss a few things.

Hence i am here asking if there is a list... hopefully someone from the development team can help out.
iamclueless
Level 2
Level 2

Postby iamclueless on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:28 pm

ok let me be exact...i dont want to be misunderstood

its not necessarily each and every codec....its more the packages im concerned about
iamclueless
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs