Need to uninstall patented codecs from Mint 16 KDE

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Need to uninstall patented codecs from Mint 16 KDE

Postby jfbunch on Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:17 pm

I am running Linux Mint 16 "Petra" KDE Edition, 64-bit. This release includes the codecs. There is no KDE release that does not contain the codecs. As far as I know, some of the codecs are patented in the USA, where I reside, and are therefore illegal. I want to remove these illegal, unlicensed codecs and replace them with the Fluendo codecs, which are licensed. I am not interesting in trying MATE No codecs or Cinnamon No codecs, because KDE is the best edition. How do I uninstall the patented, unlicensed codecs that are included with the KDE Edition so that I can comply with the patent laws of the USA?
jfbunch
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Need to uninstall patented codecs from Mint 16 KDE

Postby karlchen on Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:52 pm

Hello, jfbunch.

You will have to identify the names of the software packages which hold the non-free codecs.
Then launch Synaptic package manager.
Locate each codec software package that you want to uninstall. Right-click the package name and select it for removal. Click on the [Apply] button.

HTH,
Karl
Enlightened by Lucid Lynx, enchanted by Maya, impressed by Petra.
karlchen
Level 9
Level 9

Postby xenopeek on Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:27 pm

I don't know for sure which packages all are not allowed under your country's patent laws. I'd recommend you instead install Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon or MATE no-codecs and then install KDE on top of that as the surest way to achieve what you want.

If you want to go this route on your current installation, look at the packages mint-meta-codecs and mint-meta-codecs-kde (removing them has not effect, I said look at them). If you look at the list of dependencies you can put together all the packages that you should be removing. Aside from the obvious ones like multimedia codecs and everything related to working with DVDs, this will also remove all your installed media players and Adobe Flash as those could all be infringing. It also removes OpenJDK Java, though I'm unclear as to the reason as Oracle uses OpenJDK as the reference implementation of Java.

Just removing the list of those packages is going to have huge side-effects though. I tested it and it also removes all KDE language packs and the Phonon VLC backend, possibly rendering your computer without means to play audio. I'm not sure you end up with a usable system doing this manually yourself.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Aristotelian on Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:28 pm

Alternatively, you could just install KUbuntu. Maybe I will get flamed for saying this, but my impression is the primary difference between Mint KDE and KUbuntu would be the codecs. They both use the same desktop and underlying operating system.
Aristotelian
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs