No sound at all!

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

No sound at all!

Postby magnus0 on Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:59 pm

About a month ago, my sound disappeared. No error messages, nothing. It's an integrated sound card.
The command arecord -l displays following:
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC880 Analog [ALC880 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 4: ALC880 Analog [ALC880 Analog]
Subdevices: 2/2
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1

My sound card is listed. I suspect it is a hardware problem, because I installed Linux Mint yesterday and I was using Ubuntu before and I didn't had any sound there either :shock: So is there anything I can do or do I have to buy a new card?
magnus0
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: No sound at all!

Postby BAD on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:32 pm

Try different distro's like Fedora and PCLOS.
I recently tested a laptop and had different propblems with most distro's I tried sound network video boot .
If you get a sound card some times Linux sees the on board as the default even if it is disabled in the bios. Be prepared to fix this issue.
We are the LinuxMint. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
BAD
Level 3
Level 3

Re: No sound at all!

Postby Insane1 (Not Logged In) on Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:17 pm

magnus0 wrote:About a month ago, my sound disappeared. No error messages, nothing. It's an integrated sound card.
The command arecord -l displays following:
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC880 Analog [ALC880 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 4: ALC880 Analog [ALC880 Analog]
Subdevices: 2/2
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1

My sound card is listed. I suspect it is a hardware problem, because I installed Linux Mint yesterday and I was using Ubuntu before and I didn't had any sound there either :shock: So is there anything I can do or do I have to buy a new card?

Odd...I can nearly confirm that series SHOULD work, since I'm using an integrated ALC883 with Intel HDA, and even though it doesn't like pulseaudio with some newer distros, it still has audio. I would do what BAD suggested and maybe load up some liveCDs of different distros, preferably with different sound systems, and perhaps check the bios. If the audio doesn't work on any of them, even with different sound servers, and you can find other reviews saying your ALC880 does work, I would suggest an issue directly with the hardware if the sound hasn't been disabled in bios. Personally, if it WAS working then suddenly vanished without any form of warning, I'd presume it was a hardware failure.
Insane1 (Not Logged In)

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs