Need help with ALSA drivers

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Need help with ALSA drivers

Postby Hunt3r78 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:34 am

Hi ! I started using linux 2 days ago and i need some help with ALSA drivers installation. I have a sound card (Sound Blaster Live 5.1 - SB0100) and i want to make it work. After i tried several tutorials i get to a conclusion : i need help from peoples with experience in linux because i can't install ALSA because linux "kicked my ass". I need someone to tell me exactly how to install corectly ALSA and make that sound card work.
Today i reinstalled Linux because yesterday i tried several commands in terminal from several tutorials and i blow up the entire system :))

Some informations :

- OS : Linux Mint 16 - Cinnamon (2.0) x64 ! Kernel : 3.11.0-12-generic
- Sound Card : Sound Blaster Live 5.1 - Model : SB0100
- I deactived integrated sound card from BIOS

Please be very explicit with installation steps becuase right now i'm on the "learning stage" with this OS !
Sorry if i mispelled something but english is my second language.

Thank's in advice !
Hunt3r78
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Need help with ALSA drivers

Postby Hunt3r78 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:40 am

Thank's for so much help....

T.C. please...
Hunt3r78
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Need help with ALSA drivers

Postby Hoser Rob on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:30 am

As you may have noticed, the support here is not good, and even on distros that do have good support you can't expect step by step explicit instructions all the time. I use mint 16 mate on this netbook and kubuntu on my more powerful machine.

I actually think ubuntu based mint is somewhat better sorted than ubuntu because it's based on an older kernel. But it's worse for newbies if you're having hardware support problems.

Mint 16 with the cinnamon desktop is based on ubuntu 13.10. While you can't get and shouldn't expect support from ubuntuforums or askubuntu, they're often the best place to look.

Linux isn't like windows where you just copy drivers. It's more stable ... you don't get program installers mucking up your system as long as you stick to the default software sources ... but they don't make it easy for newbies.

Have a look at this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

And, above all, don't do a lot of things at once you don't understand.
Hoser Rob
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs