No 5.1 over HDMI Mint 16 Cinnamon 64 bit

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
davepuma

No 5.1 over HDMI Mint 16 Cinnamon 64 bit

Post by davepuma »

Hi all,

I have just installed Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon on my HTPC but have ran into a couple of difficulties namely no HDMI 5.1 audio and an annoying black border around the screen when using alternative drivers.

With the default installation, I got no audio out via HDMI so tried the fglrx 2.13.101-0ubuntu3 driver in driver manager. With this driver, I got stereo sound and gained a black border around the screen.

I then reinstalled everything and installed the AMD Catalyst driver (Linux Beta 14.1) but again, I cannot get HDMI 5.1. The rear and subwoofer speakers (no centre speaker?) are greyed out.

With regards to the black borders around the screen, in AMD Catalyst Control Center I get no options for scaling or underscan/overscan etc. for my TV which is actually listed as a projector. All I get is an information tab, there are no other tabs so I cannot alter anything.

My PC is based on an Asus E35M1-i Deluxe MB which has an integrated processor (E-350) with AMD RadeonHD 6310 Graphics onboard.

Can anyone tell me in layman's terms (this is the first time I've used Linux) how I can get 5.1 audio and solve the resolution issue?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
davepuma

Re: No 5.1 over HDMI Mint 16 Cinnamon 64 bit

Post by davepuma »

Am I to assume that you cannot get 5.1 via HDMI at all? Can anyone recommend a distro that does or is it just not possible with Linux? Sorry for the newb questions but as I said, this is my first go at using Linux.

Return to “Sound”