Firefox3 will not detect RealPlayer plugin

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Firefox3 will not detect RealPlayer plugin

Postby massing on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:57 pm

I am trying to get Firefox 3 to work with BBC live radio streams without much success. Initially I was just using the mplayer plugin but it was just causing Firefox to crash so I tried also installing RealPlayer 11. When this didn't work I followed some advice found on this forum and removed the mplayer plugin with Synaptic. Now Firefox does not think that I have any plugin at all and when I go to use the BBC content it just prompts me install RealPlayer. When I look in about:plugins in Firefox there is no listing for Realplayer content. I found some advice on the Ubuntu forum suggesting that I copy a couple of files from the Realplayer folder over to the Mozilla plugin folder, which I did but it did not change anything. Realplayer has installed OK and appears to work fine as a standalone player I just can't work out how to make Firefox use it.

I am pretty new to Linux so please can you explain any suggested fix in a simple step-by-step manner :D

I am using Mint 5, Firefox 3.0.1 and RealPlayer 11.0.0.4028
massing

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Firefox3 will not detect RealPlayer plugin

Postby merlwiz79 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:28 pm

Try coping the same files to /usr/lib/firefox/plugins and /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Firefox3 will not detect RealPlayer plugin

Postby amassing on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:53 am

That worked - many thanks :D
amassing
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs