sony blu ray player and linux mint 13

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
daddyo
Level 2
Level 2

sony blu ray player and linux mint 13

Post by daddyo »

Greetings. I am not sure if I need to post this in this area or the networking area but here goes. I am running linux mint 13 on my pc and have a sony blu ray player in my living room. My blu ray player and pc are hard wired to my Netgear Rangemax Router. When I go into the blu ray player, should I be able to see the files that are stored on my pc or do I have to install a media server to accomplish that? I have backed up some movies on my pc with Handbrake and want to be able to access them from the blu ray player. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Re: sony blu ray player and linux mint 13

Post by MartyMint »

If your blu-ray player supports DLNA (as many do), you can install MediaTomb as the DLNA server back-end on your computer.
It's fairly easy to setup, can transcode formats "on-the-fly" and has a web GUI for configuration.
daddyo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: sony blu ray player and linux mint 13

Post by daddyo »

Handbrake creates a m4v file and my blu ray player will not support m4v through DLNA without force transcoding. I have been trying to get that setup through PS3 media server but the force transcode is not working. I will give Mediatomb a try. Since my blu ray player has a usb port, another option is to put my movies on a flash drive and play them that way. Thank you for your suggestions.

Return to “Sound”