Remote problem - mic not working

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
englischdude
Level 2
Level 2

Remote problem - mic not working

Post by englischdude »

Hi All,

i really hope you can help me here. My wife is from Bulgaria and we live in Austria. We use SKYPE on LM15 to communicate with her family in Bulgaria who use a laptop running LM9. The kids in Bulgaria have apparently been playing with the laptop and now the mic seems to have been disabled. Unfortunately it is prooving very difficult to help troubleshoot the problem, the in-laws in bulgaria are not really up to speed on troubleshooting.

I need to find and try to use a remote desktop software which can easily, and I emphasize EASILY, be installed with simple instructions in Bulgaria which I can then use to gain remote access to the laptop in order to try and troubleshoot the mic problem.

Any suggestions on a suitable, easily to install and setup remote desktop software?
Just so you get an idea of how easy the remote setup has to be, here would be a typical troubleshooting conversation between me and the father in law.

Situation - Completely blank desktop screen, except for a BIG red dot taking up half the screen

Me: Papa, click on the big red dot
Papa: what red dot?
Me:the one in the middle of the screen
Papa: there is no red dot
Me: the huge red dot in the middle of the screen, click on it.
Papa: I cant see a red dot because there is a huge red area in the middle of the desktop covering everything...............

you get the idea. Anyone else experienced something like this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Horck

Re: Remote problem - mic not working

Post by Horck »

Sorry if i waist your time.

But what I did for remote desktop control is.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install x11vnc
---(on the computer to be controlled)
then i launched x11vnc with

x11vnc
then again on the computer to be controlled I opened up firefox and went to 192.168.0.1 (which is my router, yours might be different) I logged in (with the password on the back of the router) then I navigated to "Port forwarding" and forwarded the port 5901 to the computer I wanted to control (mine was 192.168.0.31).

Then on the other computer (the one that controls your dads) I did

sudo apt-get install xtightvncviewer
then i launched the program with

xtightvncviewer
and in the text box that popped up i typed the public ip address of the computer i was going to connect to (in my case 192.168.0.31) http://www.juliospinelli.com/AxE/ip.pl will show the public IP address of the computer that clicks the link.

And that was it, from there I could control the remote computer, but it is VERY laggy, and ANYONE can log into the computer because by default x11vnc doesnt have a password, I think you can change that with the command "vncpasswd" but I like not having a password. I just turn off the server "CTRL+C" when im done with it.
Horck

Re: Remote problem - mic not working

Post by Horck »

darn I answered this but im not sure If it worked.

install x11vnc on the remote computer

sudo apt-get install x11vnc
install xtightvncviewer on the local computer

sudo apt-get install xtightvncviewer
Then on the remote computer open a web browser and in the url bar enter your routers local IP In my case it was 192.168.0.1

The login username and password is usually on the back of the router. Once logged in navigate to "Port forwarding" and forward 5901 to the remote computers local ip address.

to see your local ipaddress type

ifconfig | grep "inet addr:.*Bcast"
and it is the first X.X.X.X number.

Then on your local computer start xtightvncviewer and connect to the remote computer public ip address X.X.X.X:5901

To see your public ip click this link on the remote computer http://www.juliospinelli.com/AxE/ip.pl

That should be enough.

P.S. if you get permission denied on anything add "sudo" to the start of the command and to launch x11vnc and xtightvnc just open a command prompt and type their respective names. Also remember that ANYONE can connect to your dads computer (if the know the ip) so close the x11vnc server when your done (CTRL+C on the terminal that launched it)

P.S.S. Actually just remove the "port forwarding" rule when your done to be safe.

Return to “Sound”