BBC iPlayer

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

BBC iPlayer

Postby Scunnered on Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:35 am

What have you done that others don't seem to have been able to do?

I have been trying to access the BBC iPlayer in the UK for live radio only to find that they keep wanting me to use Real Player or WMP neither of which I want.

I was able to view TV without any problem but not live radio until today when I downloaded Mint. 5.0 Light from Linux Format which worked a treat. What player or codecs are you using as i would wish to see if they will work with others.

I am currently looking at a number of distros as I have yet to get one that prints photographs to my liking and once I reach that happy state I obviously would like to have the benefits of listening to live radio.

At the moment I am just starting to evaluate your offering and initial reaction is favourable. No to see what happens with printing.
Scunnered
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: BBC iPlayer

Postby Fornhamfred on Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:54 am

All was OK with BBC radio until they updated to the new iplayer. I found that Firefox 3 sorted this problem out with add-ons for both realplayer and Windows Media Player.

Printing photos to my Epson DX4850 is very respectable. The quality of print is normally more to do with the printer than the software IMHO.

Hope you get on well with Mint.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: BBC iPlayer

Postby Scunnered on Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:03 pm

Fornhamfred

Using Opera (my favoured browser) I always had no end of problems with anything BBC but today I was able to listen to live radio.

I did not add any plugins for Opera so I was extremely surprised that everything worked as it did. This was the reason I raised the question as it could benefit others who like me use Opera.

Regarding printing I had earlier looked at this on Mint but found that it printed quite a bit lighter than what had been printed using XP. I am using an Epson Stylus Photo R265 printer and have no hesitation of advising others to use Epson.
Scunnered
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs