songs get stuck at 0:00

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

songs get stuck at 0:00

Postby nathan on Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:03 am

when I try to play music it will just stay at 0:00. I've searched through forums and haven't found a solution that works for me. I tried importing the music again, and also trying to open the file with Banshee. This problem is not limited to just Banshee though, I have tried to play my music with both Exaile and Amarok, and both have the same problem. I'm not sure what the problem could be I think I have all of the right codecs and packages installed and yet there is a problem. Any help you could provide would be great. Thanks.
nathan

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: songs get stuck at 0:00

Postby gregnotcraig on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:23 am

Are these ripped mp3s or ones that were from iTunes/Walmar/somewhere else that may have DRMed them?
gregnotcraig
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nhirst100 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:06 am

most of my music is ripped mp3s (althouth some were bought through itunes, this occurs no matter which song I select to play) located on my ntfs partition. Banshee is able import the music just fine, it is only when I try to play it that there is a problem.
nhirst100
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nhirst100 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:35 am

so i closed all of my open applications and tried it again, and now it works. I just have to make sure that I don't have anything else open before opening it.
nhirst100
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Cinemarxism on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:18 pm

Wow, I was just about to post the same topic. I'm having the same problem. It started some days ago, and I have yet to find a solution. If I restart or log out and start playing a audio-file before opening any other applications it works. However, after a couple of hours, especially If I have a track paused, the problem seems to reoccur. So I have to do the same thing over again, pretty annoying.

For me the track gets stuck at 00.00 (or if I've paused a track and then try to resume it after a couple of hours, it just drops down to 00.00 and gets stuck), and after a couple of seconds the application freezes. Takes a couple of seconds more, then it unfreezes, but as soon as I try to play a audio-file this happens again. This problems occurs in every audio-playing application I've tried. Amarok, Rythmbox, Audacious, it happens to them all. So I guess it's not a problem with any of those applications, but rather concerning a codec or something?

Help would be greatly appreciated.
Cinemarxism
Level 1
Level 1

Postby infamous on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:14 pm

It sounds to me like a problem with the sound server. I noticed that when it(sound server) was configured incorrectly and some other application was using it, that my media player would skip through all the tracks without playing them and give error messages about xine. Maybe try going into Amarok setting or whatever player you are using and make sure that it is set to use pulse audio if that is the server you are running. If pulse audio is set up right it should work.
infamous
Level 2
Level 2

Postby kb0hae on Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:15 am

Hmmm... Just a few things that I have noticed here. When I installed Mint 5 KDE CE a few days after it was released, I noticed that Audacious was broken. It would not play any files, whether they were on the same drive or not. This was the case with sidux a few months back. Since sidux uses the Debian Sid repositories as well as its own, I know that a new fixed version is on its way. In fact, I got the required files from Debian Lenny Testing, and installed Audacious, and it works fine.

I had noticed that some players could not access files unless they were on the same drive. This was cured when I created mount points (folders in the /media folder) for my drives, and added entries in Fsatb for all of my drives, using the standard /dev/sdxy designations (where x=the hard drive, and y= the partition) instead of the annoying UUID designators. It seems that in Mint 5, other drives on the system are not auto-mounted, and mount points and fstab entries are not created (unless the Mint devs have changed this). This was carried over from Ubuntu I was told.

Not sure if thisn is helpful to anyone, but I though it might be.

TTYL
kb0hae
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pppossibilities on Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:27 pm

I've also noticed this problem. If I log in, and play video/audio through firefox first, then it will work. If however, I go through an audio program (which one doesn't seem to matter) first, then the audio from FF won't work, but FF will still load everything like it's going to play.

Does anyone know of a problem between Alsa and Firefox in terms of hogging the audio stream and not playing nice?
pppossibilities
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dr_chunks on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:43 am

Did you check to make sure the NTFS partition is mounted?

Edit- I just realized kb0hae mentioned this.
dr_chunks
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs