Mint 13 and 17: Of interest

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gingertom5005

Mint 13 and 17: Of interest

Post by gingertom5005 »

Just out of interest really. I have been given an old dell dimension 5150 and tried to install Mint 17 on it. The system wouldn't boot from the DVD (although I've booted from it before). I treied Mint 13 and it booted and installed no problem. I guess it's just one of those (few) systems that are designed to work with just Windows systems only. I did wonder if there is something in the Mint 17 which is vastly different in the boot though.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint 13 and 17: Of interest

Post by austin.texas »

Which desktop were you trying? Cinnamon?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
gingertom5005

Post by gingertom5005 »

Mate. However the problem with 17 was at boot. I wonder if it's anything to do with UEFI ?
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

it is more likely related to the DVD drive.
My new laptop (1year old) takes whatever I throw at it but my older one is picky and doesn't like some brands of cd or DVDs
I just bought 5 DVD-R , old latop can sometimes write on them but can never read them (I know the opposite would have been more logical) the new Laptop loves them.
Had also the case with some old cds same scenario. So a DVD may boot on one machine and not on another, that doesn't prove anything.
Can you boot using usb on your old laptop?
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi again,

if the DVDdrive could read the DVD it would bring you to the Live Environement screen , UEFI problems only appear after this or during the installation process not at boot (Boot as of just after the bios is loaded)
And the Dimension 5150 is a pentium 4 so I'd be really surprised the bios is UEFI aware. You can only install a 32 bit version of an OS (but you would see this problem after the boot as I said)

Return to “Sound”