rt kernel and lmms

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

rt kernel and lmms

Postby LinuxForever on Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:52 pm

I installed “linux-rt” from synaptic, rebooted and installed lmms. Lmms can't find an rt kernel. Should I have installed the rt kernel a different way? Is there something else the rt kernel needs installed? How do I get lmms working? Thankx for any help.
LinuxForever
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: rt kernel and lmms

Postby ElQuia on Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:45 pm

I´m having the same problem as LinuxForever. Maybe tomorrow (time pending) I´ll install Audacious and see if it has the same problem.
Anyone who is into audio production and knowledgeable in Linux (I'm a noob) can help :?
ElQuia
Level 2
Level 2

Postby ElQuia on Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:33 pm

LinuxForever: I did a complete Ubuntu x64 8.04.1 Install, On top I installed all the Ubusntu Studio packages including rt kernel. lmms runs OK, no errors,
Any ideas :?:

EDIT: :!: On Mint x32: If you run sudo lmms IT WORKS, no error messages, as root also works.
Must be something to do with permissions :?: (don't know if in Linux the concept is the same as windows)
ElQuia
Level 2
Level 2

Postby LinuxForever on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:20 pm

ElQuia I don't know if it's a good idea to run a program as root. I looked at the lmms documentation but it doesn't have anything about running it as root. As long as it works though. May be I'll have the answers after I read the book for Linux From Scratch.

In regard to Ubuntu Studio, it's great for writing music. Until I understand more about the differences between Mint and Ubuntu I can only say use Ubuntu Studio as long as it works for you.

I can't figure out how to get the rt kernel and lmms to work right in Mint. There must be a secret to it.

In regard to permissions, lmms might be using the / partition instead of the /home partition to save files in. Or may be lmms has to be be run as root to work with the rt kernel. Really though, I remember lmms running in Ubuntu Studio without root permission. I don't know.

All OS's are like a work-in-progress. No matter how much one learns there's always more to learn.

I found this list of other audio distros of linux. I've tried 64 Studio and Dynebolic and I like Ubuntu Studio better.
linuxaudio.org http://apps.linuxaudio.org/apps/categor ... tributions
LinuxForever
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ElQuia on Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:06 pm

ElQuia I don't know if it's a good idea to run a program as root.

Yep, I know. I was just trying to diagnose the thing ....

All OS's are like a work-in-progress. No matter how much one learns there's always more to learn.

And thats a truth if I ever heard one :!: :lol:

I tried 64 studio also, in matter of fact I have it installed in a VM, but mmmmmm, I don´t like it....

The thing is I love Mint, it´s ease of use, it´s community, the interface, the sheer QUALITY of the work, obviously there are things that can be better, but as you say: all oses have that. Ask win users :lol: :!:

I´m trying out ubuntu, with the complete ubuntu studio package on top ... but ... it´s second best.

I´m going to wait for the final release of 64bit Mint, do a complete install, then (previous backups, always backups) do some tests with audio. Maybe the standard kernel works OK ... I don´t do audio production in the composing sense, I record audio from external sources and do some mastering and editing. Ill do the same tests on ubustu and after that I´ll try with rt kernel on x64 Mint, and see what happens.

Meantime, I´m using Mint for customers who want to migrate to Linux, (Main ed), and mint xfce for some older machines.

Thanks for all :D
ElQuia
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs