[SOLVED] Flash upgrade

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] Flash upgrade

Post by SiKing »

Apologies to bring up an old problem.

From doing a few searches on this forum, it seems to me that everyone is having the same problems with flash as me: it does not work. Further it appears to me as if most people solve it the same way as I did: uninstall the outdated Ubuntu supported one and install the latest one directly from Adobe.
I understand why Ubuntu (or even others) would not care to update this, but why Mint? It would seem to me that Mint should come pre-installed with the latest one. Is it a problem with manpower - I am willing to help, what do I do?

TIA for advice.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Flash upgrade

Post by 67GTA »

Mint still benefits from the bulk of the Ubuntu repos so this will happen occasionally. The only way to prevent this is by Clem being able to maintain his own Mint package repositories. I'm guessing right now it is lack of funds and manpower. Even if that were to happen, apps like Adobe's flash are copyrighted, so unless they release quality apps for Linux, (source of the current the problem) there is not much anyone can do about it. You can't legally fix it and re release it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Flash is crap. Adobe doesn't support it well. Complain please to Adobe. There are a lot of reasons why Adobe's version might not be in Ubuntu's repos, and thus not directly in Mint either.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Linux Mint comes with flash 10, which is the latest version.
At the time it was beta and now has an Release candidate out.
The main problem isn't flash 10 it's the lazy wed sites not updating for flash 10.
Most site aren't update to even detect flash 10.
It's been out for a good while now and it's to easy to add flash 10 as the max version number. :?

Here's the flash 10 RC, not sure if they have a new one will check tomorrow.
http://www.4shared.com/file/63605509/38 ... _i386.html
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

67GTA wrote:The only way to prevent this is by Clem being able to maintain his own Mint package repositories.
Do pre-installed packages depend on repos? I thought pre-installed can only live on the CD.iso. Am I wrong?
merlwiz79 wrote:Linux Mint comes with flash 10, which is the latest version.
I was almost certain that my Mint (5.0r1) came with Flash 9.0.28 - although I am no longer sure, I could install it on my VM and check. Several sites (my work and my daughter's current obsession) will not work on that version. The latest at Adobe is 9.0.124, which works just fine for both of my cases. I was not even aware of there being a version 10.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

SiKing wrote:
67GTA wrote:The only way to prevent this is by Clem being able to maintain his own Mint package repositories.
Do pre-installed packages depend on repos? I thought pre-installed can only live on the CD.iso. Am I wrong?

Most of the pre-installed packages in the Mint ISO are taken from the Ubuntu repos at the time of release except for a few that Clem maintains himself like Firefox.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

Just got home to verify all of this, and discovered two things:
1. I'm totally wrong. Synaptic says that the latest version of Flash in the repos is 10.0.b218.
2. I just tried to upgrade to that version, and I have ... nothing. Firefox does not see any flash plugin. Completely removed it, re-install one more time, nothing. :cry:
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

SiKing wrote:Just got home to verify all of this, and discovered two things:
1. I'm totally wrong. Synaptic says that the latest version of Flash in the repos is 10.0.b218.
2. I just tried to upgrade to that version, and I have ... nothing. Firefox does not see any flash plugin. Completely removed it, re-install one more time, nothing. :cry:
Yes that is a beta that has been removed from the adobe servers so it won't work.
I liked to one that might work in my last post. http://www.4shared.com/file/63605509/38 ... _i386.html
I looked and they now have a Pre Release of flash 10, for developers to test, for backwards compatibility.
I might have to make a new package for it.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

merlwiz79 wrote:Yes that is a beta that has been removed from the adobe servers so it won't work.
I don't understand. Does this mean that if, through Synaptic, I install the latest (and currently only) flashplugin-nonfree that it will install nothing? Or is it going to install a broken flash plugin?
*If* everything was working correctly :lol: , and I installed flashplugin-nonfree through Synaptic, where should it end up on my system so that Firefox for every user on my system can pick it up? How will Synaptic react if for the time being I manually put in the plugin that I download directly from Adobe into that location?

Thank You for all your help.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

The easiest way would just to download and install the package I made.
It will download Flash 10 and install it correctly.

By doing it manually, it will cause many problems.
You might have sound problems and it could crash Firefox more.

With the debian package it won't cause Firefox to crash just flash.
del

Post by del »

HI
The link works but no file to download. Has the time expired on this server for sharing file?
Thanks
Del
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

merlwiz79 wrote:The easiest way would just to download and install the package I made.
It will download Flash 10 and install it correctly.
It does not work for me. I mean, it does something (download, install, etc.), but FF still sees only my old Flash 9.
merlwiz79 wrote:By doing it manually, it will cause many problems.
You might have sound problems and it could crash Firefox more.

With the debian package it won't cause Firefox to crash just flash.
Well, both FF and Flash (version9) work. I just can't get Synaptic to recognize the existence of Flash ... or upgrade it or delete it. :cry:
del

Post by del »

Hi
Too bad flash didn't work right from the start. I was under impression everything worked fine. I guess I'll go back to PClinuxos and maybe try Mint out when flash is working correctly. I have to admit it is the best looking/unified gnome distro and i hope Clem maintains the distro for some time to come. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for your help.
Del
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

I do not know how I got into this problem in the first place, but I will admit that I did it to myself. :oops:
In the end, just today, I fixed my problem by:

Return to “Sound”