MP3 Without Compression?

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

MP3 Without Compression?

Postby EchoLynx on Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:40 pm

I have recently purchased a copy of the PowerNap CD and, though I haven't compared the difference, the disc says you should not encode your copy of the CD into MP3 format as the compression will remove much of the wavelengths in the file which make it effective. (This is a white noise track designed to help you rest for short periods of time in order to help you through the day until you can get some real sleep.) I am, however, very addicted to my mp3 player and was wondering if it was possible to get WAV equivalent quality in an MP3 or WMA file.

Thanks a bunch,
Ian
Saturday August 9th, 2008: Acquired Technician-class Amateur Radio License. Assigned call KB3ROH.
February (?) 2010: Acquired General-class Amateur Radio License.
EchoLynx
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: MP3 Without Compression?

Postby msuggs on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:10 pm

The highest mp3's are at 320kbs and 44khz compared to 1441kbs at 44khz of the CD. I have heard that 640kbs compression is possible with lame but I don't think an mp3 player will play it.

That said 320kbs is excellent quality, I'd give it a try and see if it has the same effect or not.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Re: MP3 Without Compression?

Postby EchoLynx on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:14 pm

Is there a way to compare the output digitally? I was thinking a program SHOULD exist to compare the waveform of one file to another...

-Ian
Saturday August 9th, 2008: Acquired Technician-class Amateur Radio License. Assigned call KB3ROH.
February (?) 2010: Acquired General-class Amateur Radio License.
EchoLynx
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs