Qiana problem with WMV video files

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
somebody1

Qiana problem with WMV video files

Post by somebody1 »

On the computer I'm working with I was able to play WMV files perfectly with Mint13, WinVista, Precise Puppy.

But with „Mint 17 Qiana Cinnamon“ I have big problems:
- On all Video playback programs I get a choppy picture and squares are often mixed in the video.
- On all programs the framerate seems much worse compared to what it was on WinVista especially.
- On Banshee and Totem sometimes I can't browse the video because the program freezes.
- In VLC when I browse the video I don't get freezes or crashes, but the sound always disappears when I browse the video. For example when I just accelerate the video the sound remains good, but when I jump to a different point in the video then the sound disappears.

Other video formats work fine as far as I can tell.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
somebody1

Re: Qiana problem with WMV video files

Post by somebody1 »

I installed Avidemux now and tried to maybe convert the vids into a different format. Avidemux plays the mvw video much better, but has no sound at all for them. When I convert it into avi or mp4 then I completely lose the sound and the video remains just as bad as before the convert.

In Mint13 there were a ton of available options in Avidemux, for both video and sound.

In Mint17 Avidemux can't do much at all. For example I can't choose any audio options (only „copy“). Also much fewer video options.

So I'm thinking that maybe I'm missing codecs.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Avidemux is a video-editor and not really meant for converting video's.

Try another multimedia converter:
WinFF can be found in the repository by default. Else try Handbrake.
DavePlummer

Post by DavePlummer »

I convert WMV to MP4 with transmageddon.
somebody1

Post by somebody1 »

Thanks guys, I'll try both.

Still no luck getting VLC working properly. But I've installed SMPlayer and WMV files work okay-ish there, sound is great, but some graphics errors still occur.

For Avidemux all I had to do was to install "avidemux-plugin-gtk" to get the missing options to appear.
nomko

Post by nomko »

somebody1 wrote: Still no luck getting VLC working properly.
What's wrong with Vlc? Is it related to this thread only or does Vlc also not play other video formats?
somebody1

Post by somebody1 »

nomko wrote:
somebody1 wrote: Still no luck getting VLC working properly.
What's wrong with Vlc? Is it related to this thread only or does Vlc also not play other video formats?
VLC plays everything great, but it has big problems with playing WMV video files (I've listed the problems in the first post).
nomko

Post by nomko »

somebody1 wrote: VLC plays everything great, but it has big problems with playing WMV video files (I've listed the problems in the first post).
Just to ease your mind, i too have problems playing .mwv files with Vlc. I think it's because WMV files are closed-source. But you could try convert them to AVI or MPEG with Handbrake or WinFF.
malcolmla

Post by malcolmla »

I have a similar problem, both with audio and video. Some of the applications work better than others. VLC is the worst.

The problem appears in videos played separately or within a browser window. Playing a file, then deliberately moving the mouse around causes choppy sound and video. Video and audio are out of sync. At some point, there appears to be a second identical soundtrack playing.

I'm a little surprised at the number of low-level problems which are still present in Mint 17.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

first thing I would suggest is to verify if all the needed codecs are installed and the latest.
I use the Ubuntu ones but same goes for Mint

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
then if using VLC

sudo apt-get upgrade vlc
and always a good idea to compare apple to apple so post your hw and drivers used.(kernel, CPU,RAM, graphic card and audio card are really important factors)

sudo inxi -U
to be sure to use the latest version of this fantastic tool

inxi -Fxz
nomko

Post by nomko »

malcolmla wrote:The problem appears in videos played separately or within a browser window.
That sounds more like a Flash problem or some missing/bad working browser plugin.
malcolmla

Post by malcolmla »

I believe this is a known problem: https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kerne ... 409d828b1b

But for my ASUS z97-ws there is a fix here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=181764&p=2

Following Elrico's instructions, I edited my /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf as follows:

"options snd-hda-intel vid=8086 pid=8ca0 snoop=0"

A reboot, and so far it seems to have corrected the problem.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Please avoid posting a method that worked for you and your specific hw, it may screw other peoples setup.
also
I believe this is a known problem: https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kerne ... 409d828b1b
this refers to a release candidate kernel that only testers should use, in fact this kernel is now live with 3.15.10 as the latest and works pretty well.
DON'T USE a RC kernel, it's for testing only and don't apply fixes that you randomly find on the web without checking it applies for your hw.
It's safer to come and ask first as a lot of users here may have seen this or corrected it already.
nomko

Post by nomko »

PatH57 wrote:Please avoid posting a method that worked for you and your specific hw, it may screw other peoples setup.
In what way? If this is so, then every and each solution provided on this forum is only applicable for 1 person and not for the "general mass". Total rubbish this answer.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Again Nomko use your brain and not your d.... when you answer.
The answer is specific to changes the user made on his sound card and will probably not work on others but as it seems you have no clue on hardware anyway I consider your answer as being total rubbish.
nomko

Post by nomko »

PatH57 wrote: not your d....
d.... what? Reported for getting too personal again!

And you placed yourself on my foe list!
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

no please don't :lol:
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Enough already both of you
Lets keep the thread civil
nomko

Post by nomko »

Oscar799 wrote:Enough already both of you
Lets keep the thread civil
Thats why i put him on my foe list oscar ;)

Return to “Sound”