No audio signal in secondary line out jack. [LM17 - MATE]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Aeacus

No audio signal in secondary line out jack. [LM17 - MATE]

Post by Aeacus »

Hi everyone!

I have an audio problem that i haven't been able to solve from the day i started using my Linux.
(Oh, i'm new with GNU/Linux OS'es. I've been using my Linux about few weeks.)

But first, few of my system specs:
Dual boot with Windows XP pro SP2 (32-bit)

I'm using desktop PC that has 2 line out 3.5mm stereo female jacks.
First jack is located on the front panel of my PC (i seldom use it for headphones).
Second jack is located at the back panel of my PC (i have my speakers plugged in there).

(If you need any more system info/specs then feel free to ask.)

Now, about my problem with audio under Linux.
In Windows, Windows automatically sends audio signal into every single audio line out jack that i have, regardless their priority (e.g. primary, secondary etc.). That enables me to use my 1st jack for headphones and my 2nd jack for my speakers without any problems.
But under Linux, i only get audio signal into my 1st jack, 2nd jack (almost) never gets any audio signal. And under "almost" i mean that only in 1 occasion i get signal into my 2nd jack. It happens when i remove my headphones from my 1st jack, then for only 2 seconds, signal goes into 2nd jack and my speakers play the music and then it shuts off for good.

I searched the net hoping to find a solution and i found this: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1240
I have almost the same problem as there is in that tutorial but with one exception. I don't have 2 soundcards, i only have 1. But the rest is same. I too need to get the audio signal to both of my line out jacks.
Though, i tried fixing my problem via that tutorial but that didn't help me.

I got my Linux thanks to my good friend who installed it into my PC and set up my dual boot system. He has used Linux for several years (6 or so) and even he was amazed when he heared about my audio problem. He also searched the net to find a solution to my audio problem and he didn't find any. But he probably found out why i'm experiencing this kind of problem. He said that Linux Mint 17 is created to use mostly on Laptops (as we know, laptops only have 1 line out 3.5mm stereo female jack). He also said that since desktop PC's can have 2 or even more, Linux identifies the 1st jack (usually located on the front panel of PC) as the primary audio line out jack and any others as secondary (those that are at the back side of PC). And that may be the reason why there is audio signal in 1st jack and no audio signal in my 2nd jack.

To put it short, i need to get audio signal into both of my line out jacks at the same time (just like it is under Windows).

I hope that my description isn't very confusing.

--
Thanks in advance,
Aeacus
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aeacus

Re: No audio signal in secondary line out jack. [LM17 - MATE

Post by Aeacus »

Some time has passed and sadly, i still haven't found any solutions to my audio problem under Linux.

Though, my friend suggested that i could remove my speakers from 2nd audio line-out jack and plug them into the 1st audio line-out jack.

Even though this way i can hear music via my speakers while using either one of my OSes, it doesn't solve the problem. It just covers it up.

It also makes using my headphones a little bit annoying. First, I'd have to unplug my speakers, then plug the headphones into that very same audio line-out jack and vice-versa. I'd have to do that for every time i want to listen music via headphones.

Also, the appearance of my PC would change in a way that i don't like much. I have my PC on the desk next to my monitor, if i'd plug my speakers to the 1st audio line-out jack then the speaker's cord would remain visible and it will be quite prominent (speaker's cord is white in color, while the rest of my PC is black).
It's like when you have nice set of rims on your car and one of the rims get's damaged beyond repair. Sure, you can use a spare tire instead the broken one and you still can drive along but it's just not the same appearance wise.

Any help regarding my problem would be appreciated.

--
Aeacus

Return to “Sound”