No sound in Linux Mint 17

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
juDas_iScariot

No sound in Linux Mint 17

Post by juDas_iScariot »

Hi, I almost give up in using Mint 17 due to "no sound" issue. Everything works fine until one moment there will be no sound from the machine as if the speaker is muted. No desktop sound, no music or video player sound, able to testing speaker but it's muted. This is the 5th to 6th time it's happen to me. Tried numerous command from forum and website, end up I re-install Mint, for 5 to 6 times.

- No external sound card.
- Happen in both Xfce and Cinnamon.
- Last time the sound re-appear after I reboot for many times.
- Music player used is gmusicbrowser. Video player is VLC.
- Neither alsa or pulseaudio removed.
- Laptop Inspiron 14R 5437, soundcard is Realtek.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
yuehangwu

Re: No sound in Linux Mint 17

Post by yuehangwu »

nearly 1 month ago, I encountered the situation like you but under fedora 20, just no sounds...
at last I found in the vlc when I carelessly checked the "mute" option...
so open any kind media with vlc and right cliked the screen to see if "mute" option is checked.
juDas_iScariot

Post by juDas_iScariot »

yuehangwu wrote:nearly 1 month ago, I encountered the situation like you but under fedora 20, just no sounds...
at last I found in the vlc when I carelessly checked the "mute" option...
so open any kind media with vlc and right cliked the screen to see if "mute" option is checked.
For sure I didn't mute any application or speakers. Checked all the setting and media player it self. I use gmusicbrowser for music and VLC for video only. I will never use one media apps for two different kind of media. It's a sin IMO. :lol:
juDas_iScariot

Post by juDas_iScariot »

jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Seems like several people (myself included) were able to fix their no sound problems by installing pavucontrol and fiddling with the appropriate settings. No explanation for why your sound would come and go, though.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
juDas_iScariot

Post by juDas_iScariot »

jimallyn wrote:Seems like several people (myself included) were able to fix their no sound problems by installing pavucontrol and fiddling with the appropriate settings. No explanation for why your sound would come and go, though.
Okay, the sound came back just now but missing again after I restart. :lol: Damn... BTW, I try to install Realted Linux driver, and get these error:
/home/rolly/Downloads/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa/usb/misc/ua101.c:1358:3: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘snd_usbmidi_disconnect’
snd_usbmidi_disconnect(midi);
^
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[4]: *** [/home/rolly/Downloads/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa/usb/misc/ua101.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [/home/rolly/Downloads/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa/usb/misc] Error 2
make[2]: *** [/home/rolly/Downloads/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa/usb] Error 2
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/rolly/Downloads/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-24-generic'
make: *** [compile] Error 2

:?: :?: :?:
juDas_iScariot

Post by juDas_iScariot »

Seems like it's unavoidable issue. One used to say it's the rider problem, not the horse. But honestly, in my case I don't know if it's my problem.

Return to “Sound”