Audio issues - choppy again

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
autumnleaves

Audio issues - choppy again

Post by autumnleaves »

Mint 17 on an i5 PC with H55 chipset and Realtek ALC888B audio. Sound is choppy and raspy, no surround. Installed all updates, rebooted, with same result. Also tried editing ALSA conf file as per another thread, but no change.

Any ideas or suggestions. Is this a bug in Mint? It seems to me Realtek audio is on almost every computer out there, so I would not expect to encounter such problems.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Audio issues - choppy again

Post by Flemur »

Realtek ALC888B

FWIW, I have a regular 888 and had this (I think the same thing) happened once; rebooted and it went away.
It would begin to play normally if I let the audio play for about 30 seconds (for each player - one didn't fix the other).

Recording the sound output showed about 50% gaps, and 50% audio info.
(IIRC, all audio except from VLC was distorted/choppy.)

You said: "choppy again" - it happened before and went away, then came back?
Are you using "jack"?

Here's what I woulda done if the problem hadn't gone away:
- If using pulseaudio, delete ~/.pulse, maybe all the "*pulse*" under .config
- purge/reinstall pulse and alsa.

Here's what I have done (tho not to fix that problem):
- purged pulseaudio. You don't really need it (the only I had for it was "record what you hear", but found another way to do that, namely cheating with cables). From what I read, pulse is kinda buggy.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Sound”