High level of noise in audio output after fixing no sound

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lukfi

High level of noise in audio output after fixing no sound

Post by Lukfi »

Hi, I have a machine with Linux Mint 17 MATE and this morning I found out the sound stopped working. Probably a buggy update? I don't know. While trying to fix it as quickly as possible, I reinstalled both pulseaudio and alsa; I followed recommendations from several websites and I don't remember what exactly I have done. Somehow I got sound working again, but with much more noise than before, which makes listening to music very uncomfortable. There's a very audible swishing sound that's amplified by moving the mouse or doing anything on the PC (it's not constant, which makes it so much irritating) that wasn't there before. There's also a higher pitch whirring sound from the power circuitry that was there before, but less audible. Now, frankly, we're talking shitty onboard audio here, the motherboard is quite old and sound quality was pretty questionable as it was, but at least the swishing noise wasn't there. I ask for your help in getting it to the way things were before (in the stock installation) without having to reinstall the OS. Tell me if you need to see the output of any diagnostic commands. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: High level of noise in audio output after fixing no soun

Post by all41 »

Hello Lukfi,

Try booting back to the install iso and boot Mint in the live mode to make sure it's not a hardware problem.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Lukfi

Post by Lukfi »

Thank you for your excellent suggestion. I booted from a live DVD and the noise is still there and it's about the same intensity. It obviously is a hardware problem. It got this way when I upgraded the processor to a more power hungry model, before that the sound wasn't that bad.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Maybe the problem is in the power supply unit. Also check the motherboard for bulging capacitors like in these photos:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bulging ... d=0CB8QsAQ
Best of luck to you.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Lukfi

Post by Lukfi »

Unfortunately there's little I can do about that, it's my work PC and it belongs to the company. I had it open when I was changing the CPU and indeed there were a couple of leaked capacitors on the motherboard. I have a spare Sound Blaster Live! around here somewhere, so I could plug it in, though I'd hate to lose it in case of a catastrophic power supply failure :)

Return to “Sound”