Xine - Gamma / Brightness

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Xine - Gamma / Brightness

Postby keithdw on Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:15 pm

I'm new to Linux and am having some trouble with the transition from WinXP, but I'm getting there and I'm happy with most things.

For video playback I've found Xine to be my player of choice, but I find the picture too dark (my general desktop experience is just right!). Anyway, the video controls in Xine don't seem to be available (brightness / contrast / hue etc) unless I select the OpenGL drivers. Using these drivers the picture quality is very much degraded, so this is not an option.

So, I use the 'Auto' drivers whatever they are end enjoy a great picture quality, but too dark.

This can be fixed by going to the Video Menu, Post Process, Chain Reaction and applying the eq2 filter with a gamma of about 1.25. Unfortunately, Xine does not remember this setting and I have to apply it each time I load the software.

Does anybody know how I can add this to the command line so that xine starts up with this set!!

Cheers
keithdw
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:54 pm

This may be a near miss but Totem is based on Xine (could be based on Gstreamer as well I think but in Mint it's xine)
Totem keeps the settings, but I'm still experimenting to see how to get good streaming video. So far I got horrible video in asx format but excellent video in ram format untill Totem crashed
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Husse on Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:01 am

No, this was not a near miss, I shot myself in the foot :)
When I wrote the first answer I was experimenting with totem and mplayer to get good streaming video and I thought the settings for Totem were "sticky". They were - for everything except brightness and such :(
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs