VLC issues...

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sowlhowl

VLC issues...

Post by sowlhowl »

Alright, so I'm new to Linux Mint. Normally I use Windows but I was having problems with it lately and decided to go ahead and give Linux a shot as recommended by my husband.
For the most part everything has been going smoothly but there is this one issue and I'm not sure if it's common or not but I have not been able to find the answer to my problem!

I can play DVD's fine on VLC however when I play any other video files on VLC or ANY other players that come with mint it randomly closes in the middle of the video.
It doesn't bring up a crash report thing or anything so I don't know if this would be considered "crashing" but it will be playing fine one minute and the next, POOF it's gone...just closes out and gone....This is getting really irritating since I watch a lot of video's on my computer. It's starting to make me regret my decision. Any help would be great!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: VLC issues...

Post by Pierre »

it's probably still a codec issue,
like the windows O/S, the Mint O/Ss also need those extra files.

- can you pin down which File Type that is causing the issue?.
Eg: MP4,, MOV,, MPEG4,, or whichever it is.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

To my knowledge this is not a 'common' issue, I've used VLC for years and never had that happen, it should play virtually anything and everything without issue. Probably a missing lib/codec, but could be a number of things.

It may help to provide some more detailed info on your machine spec's and desktop environment/mint version etc, in order to give people more of an idea what the problem could be caused by.
sowlhowl

Post by sowlhowl »

The files I am having issues with are .mkv and they are the only type of video file I use.

As far as system specs and such, I'm not much of a techi, I don't know a lot of this information. I can tell you that I am on an ASUS laptop, it has 8gb ram and a 500gb harddrive. Not sure about the processor or anything else. My husband installed Linux Mint, so I'm no sure what version it is or how to check.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

You can get the info about your system through the menu, usually under 'system information' or something to that effect, normally it will give you your DE too, fixes can be slightly different from one DE to another so it helps to provide t his in your post, or put it all in a signature in your profile - anyway, have a look at the following couple of links, they both apply to .mkv files, but one also points to sound being an issue as well possible -

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=196&t=82940

5th post down in this mentions sound:

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... &sk=t&sd=a

HTH

Return to “Sound”