Linux Mint 17 XFCE startup sound

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint 17 XFCE startup sound

Post by zoli62 »

How to easily to set up the startup sound for Linux Mint 17 XFCE desktop? I have read about many solution, like this https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=8618 , but none of them was convincing.Possibly exists the fact, that there is no default startup sound for the XFCE desktop?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux Mint 17 XFCE startup sound

Post by Flemur »

Would it work to just add something to your ~/.profile or ~/.xinitrc that runs when you login ?

aplay file.wav
or
mpg123 file.mp3

Edit: I just tried it.

In .xinitrc - didn't hear anything
In .profile - sound started just before desktop GUI appeared. And it didn't run when opening a terminal (which it shouldn't do).

But do this: "aplay file.wav &" or else you have to wait for the sound to finish playing....I tried a long old-time-radio segment and had to do a ctrl-alt-F1 to kill the sound player.

You might also have to set the sound level in case it's zero or muted - look at "amixer" .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

Thank you for your answer, this method works, but is there any other simpler solution? How to activate the system sounds? (For example: logout, shutdown sound, etc.) I've read about many description, the important thing is that there is no special sound theme for the XFCE desktop environment. http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201305/page09.html
Flemur wrote:Would it work to just add something to your ~/.profile or ~/.xinitrc that runs when you login ?

aplay file.wav
or
mpg123 file.mp3

Edit: I just tried it.

In .xinitrc - didn't hear anything
In .profile - sound started just before desktop GUI appeared. And it didn't run when opening a terminal (which it shouldn't do).

But do this: "aplay file.wav &" or else you have to wait for the sound to finish playing....I tried a long old-time-radio segment and had to do a ctrl-alt-F1 to kill the sound player.

You might also have to set the sound level in case it's zero or muted - look at "amixer" .
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

Xfce has system sounds?
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

Buzzsaw wrote:Xfce has system sounds?
Yes, it has although little circumstantially. Any other Linux Mint related solution for this issue?
Howling Wolf

Linux Mint 17 XFCE event sounds at all

Post by Howling Wolf »

Can anybody clarify these above mentioned circumstances? How to setup event sounds in LM 17.1 XFCE? I've found /etc/sound directory, maybe I have to put there something, but what and how?
Now I hear event sound only when Thunderbird get a new letter, so system sounds are on, but is is the only event sound yet.
Any help appreciated.
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 17 XFCE event sounds at all

Post by zoli62 »

Howling Wolf wrote:Can anybody clarify these above mentioned circumstances? How to setup event sounds in LM 17.1 XFCE? I've found /etc/sound directory, maybe I have to put there something, but what and how?
Now I hear event sound only when Thunderbird get a new letter, so system sounds are on, but is is the only event sound yet.
Any help appreciated.
I hope, this https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=9424 will help for you and all with the same issue.
Howling Wolf

Post by Howling Wolf »

@zoli62, thank you. Your link put me into the right direction. Ultimate info according to XFCE system sounds.

Return to “Sound”