How Can I change the resolution of a video?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AtomHeartMother

How Can I change the resolution of a video?

Post by AtomHeartMother »

I want to change the resolution of a HD video to a lower resolution because it is not working on my laptop ( It's pretty old, it came with win windows 98 ). How can I do that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How Can I change the resolution of a video?

Post by all41 »

check out winff in the repositories
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Apparently all41 has had much better luck with winff than I ever did. It crashed often when I used it. In fact more often than not.

I use avidemux or handbrake for conversion. Avidemux for encode to xvid, handbrake for h.264. On a laptop that old you should probably use xvid because h.264 (which is more common now) is harder to decode. Video encoding is actually not easy, and those are the best apps I've tried in terms of having good power and ease of use.

Also install mediainfo-gui so you can see what the input file format actually is, which the filename extension doesn't tell you. All these are in the standard repos.

However, on an old win98 computer you're going to spend more time converting than watching the result. Probably a lot more.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

HR-actually I have not really needed to encode/transcode videos lately so haven't used it for that
I did use it to extract .mp4 video to audio only .mp3 and it seemed ok in that respect.
Thanks for the heads up though.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Sound”