Video "blinks"

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Video "blinks"

Postby pendergast on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:18 am

Hi.
I'm using Felicia RC1 in a Vaio laptop and everything works fine, including the wireless, but when I try to play a video file (.avi or .mkv) the video blinks (as a repeated flash) and it's very disturbing.

I've used mplayer, even vlc, with the same results. My graphic card is Ati 3650 and I have the proprietary drivers installed. The video moves smoothly, even in 720p, but the blink is pretty annoying.

I've read the guide in this forum and followed all the steps, but I can't get rid of it. I've put the medibuntu repositories.
Envy tells me that I have the correct driver installed
Anyone could help me?

Thanks in advance,
Pendergast
pendergast
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Video "blinks"

Postby Husse on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:21 am

Turn off Compiz and see what happens (Appearances > Visual effects tab > none)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby pendergast on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:48 am

.Hi.

I screwed with the Xorg file and I had to reinstall.
'Doing that I've find out that if I don't install nor propietary drivers nor Envy, video files run fine.
'
I don't have Compiz effects, but I prefer watching movies so, unless new drivers come out for Ati HD series, I can't use Compiz.
should I stay as I am or should I try another solution?

Thanks for your answer
pendergast
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:11 am

If I understand you right you're not interested in Compiz and video works now - then you're OK
The Ati 3650 is a fairly new card as far as I can see, so I'm a bit surprised the ATI driver don't work.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby dudo on Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi,

I have the same problem as pendergast and this topic was most helpfull to me so far, thanks for that. But I think its not resolved yet and I would like to follow it further along.

My story is:
I installed the new LinuxMint 6 (further just "V6"; clean new install) - I had version 5 (further just "V5") before that and audio & video playback run all fine. I don't think its a ATI HD 3650 problem by that - I have ATI HD 2400 .

In V6 the video screen is in a sort of self-own layer, overlaping all player menus, when the video is running. After turning Compiz off (by Husse's advice), the video stopped to blink. First, I went through all the Compiz effect settings to merge the diffences in V5 and V6 (because all worked in V5) but so far no luck - there are lot of possibilities and I could miss some out.

I tried to look for other "relevant" differences I could think of, here are some results:

@ used video / audio codecs were the same (as shown in totem player when playing a video)

@ LinuxMint 5:
============
command "fglrxinfo" returned:
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400
OpenGL version string: 2.1.7412 Release

command "fgl_glxgears" returned:
3099 frames in 5.0 seconds = 619.800 FPS
3279 frames in 5.0 seconds = 655.800 FPS
3382 frames in 5.0 seconds = 676.400 FPS

@ LinuxMint 6:
============
command "fglrxinfo" returned:
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400
OpenGL version string: 2.1.8087 Release

command "fgl_glxgears" returned:
287 frames in 5.0 seconds = 57.400 FPS
253 frames in 5.0 seconds = 50.600 FPS
294 frames in 5.0 seconds = 58.800 FPS
(the animation looked and run more smooth than in V5 though)

Thats kind of all information I can give now - pls instruct me further (what and how to do) if you want some more.
One more important thing: my audio is broken too in V6, it sounds disturbed, unclear, as if the system was trying to squeeze just everything from the sound.

Maybe there are some tips in Ubuntu forums directly, because I red that V6 was build directly from Ubuntu and not from the preceeding Linux Mint distribution ( http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_felicia_whatsnew.php ). I also red elsewhere that Ubuntu "does not like" ATI cards much, but I don't want to spread a fire of so ( http://atomicvindaloo.com/?p=151 ;) and I hope myself its not true :), because I have an ATI card notebook. I don't think it was ment so serious - I think it's moustly just in the driver and stuff around and its not an Ubuntu specific thing.

I will search some more in the forums. Thanks for you suggestions. I want to stick with V6, because its awesome and brings many great things, as the V5 is and was. But I would like (need) to fix this things, video and audio.

Thanks very much.
" Roses are red, violets blue,
my linux is green ... and me too :) . "

I mean, that I am a newbie and I happily use Linux Mint as my GNU/Linux.
Felicia UE @ NB Fujitsu-Siemens C2D T7300 w/ ATI HD2400 (better go for nvidia with gnu/linux)
dudo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Beholder on Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:54 pm

The same is happening to me when I play any video...the screen blinks a lot...
Anyone have a Idea how to fix it?
Beholder

Postby Zero Prime on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:51 pm

pendergast wrote:.Hi.

I screwed with the Xorg file and I had to reinstall.
'Doing that I've find out that if I don't install nor propietary drivers nor Envy, video files run fine.
'
I don't have Compiz effects, but I prefer watching movies so, unless new drivers come out for Ati HD series, I can't use Compiz.
should I stay as I am or should I try another solution?

Thanks for your answer

Drivers have been out for this card. ATI 8.12. This is for the HD series of card. I have a 3200 and it screams graphics wise. Urban Terror runs at a constant 92 fps. And thats with Compiz running.
Zero Prime
Level 3
Level 3

Postby dudo on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:58 am

Yes, I have the ATI propietary drivers installed, those which "came" with V6 or back with the V5. GFX performance is much better with them, althrough OpenGL is fine for basic usage too I think which is cool (except games and alike). In V5 I got Compiz running and all goes well (I "use" only several effects). Well, except Google Earth, which blinks all the time. I've tried some options from G.E.'s menu but it blinks everytime.

Should I do an ATI driver upgrade or downgrade?

I don't know about the V6 and video blinking ... maybe its something with x org, or kernel ... im just shooting ... haven't gone through that - mean trying different things and setups. Mostly because I don't have the knowledge. Well. I haven't seen net forums for days, so there could be some new informations.

Thanks for your help.

Felicia UE @ NB Fujitsu-Siemens C2D T7300 w/ ATI HD2400 (better go for nvidia with gnu/linux)
dudo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Beholder on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:28 pm

Try setting your video player to use X11 video output. It works nicely for me using VLC. ... I found this from here http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showth ... t=17956021
Beholder

Postby dudo on Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:24 pm

Hi there,

thanks a lot for your advice. They were most helpful. As a summary, to turn off the Compiz effects worked, but without them the graphical environtment is a bit lazy for me and not so user friendly. The X11 settings didn't worked for me - that is the test video in that setup dialog behaved all fine, but playback of usual video files was the same.

Now, I recently downloaded the latest ATI drivers and just installed them and all is running fine, great :) . I can use Compiz and video playback works. Though I have problems with video aspects, they don't fit in players in common (or the video is stretched) and when I switch between video sizes (fullscreen etc), there are allways good chances that the video screen gets all black, gets turned off - and only sound plays. I switch it several times back and again to get a picture.

All in all, I red that all this comes with ATI propetary driver for GNU/Linux.

dudo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby v0id on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:20 am

It is a fglrx problem indeed. I've upgraded fglrx to latest 8.593 and video stops blink. But there are problems with resize of video screen. I hope ATI will fix this soon.
v0id
Level 1
Level 1

Postby v0id on Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:19 am

Upgrade fglrx to 8.602 did not solve the problem with video resizing.
v0id
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs