Bad noise in Exaile (solved)

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Bad noise in Exaile (solved)

Postby Mi4 on Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:05 pm

I tried using Exaile for my music player, I've been primarily using Amarok before.
What happens is when I play a song and the volume (in Exaile) is set low, the sound is okay but the sound quality is sort of bad. If I turn it up a bit higher the sound gets mixed in with some horrible noise when the song plays any part with a lot of sound, or section with relatively higher volume. If I turn Exaile's sound up to full, the noise is there continously while playing.
I've tried playing MP3 files and FLAC files, but no difference.

I've never had any problems playing audio before with Amarok, Rythmbox, or any movie players.

My computer has an ALC888DD integrated sound chipset. So my mixer device is set to Realtek ALC888 (OSS Mixer), but I tried changing it to ALSA and it didn't make a difference.

Running Linux Mint 5 x64. Exaile v.0.2.11.

Any help is appreciated! ^^

(Oh, right. I tried searching the Ubuntu forums but I came up with nothing.)
Last edited by Mi4 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 5 x64

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420
RAM: 4GB
VGA: nVidia 8600GT (512MB)
Mi4
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Bad noise in Exaile

Postby Husse on Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:54 am

Sometimes it's not worth the effort to figure out what's wrong. If I read you right other players work fine - stick with them
One thing you could try is to completely remove Exaile and then install it again (not the reinstall option but a two step operation)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Bad noise in Exaile

Postby Mi4 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:07 pm

I'd tried completely removing and reinstalling it again but it didn't do any good.

I've solved the problem, though. I went to Exaile's homepage (exaile.org/downloads) and added their repository for Ubuntu, did a complete uninstall and installed their package (Synaptic did so by default, must've been a newer version) and then it worked like a charm! ^^
Mint 5 x64

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420
RAM: 4GB
VGA: nVidia 8600GT (512MB)
Mi4
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs