OPEN SHOT - which is correct codecs to create DVD

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
logoi

OPEN SHOT - which is correct codecs to create DVD

Post by logoi »

I'm new to video editing , I'm trying to create a DVD project in Open Shot which I'll then use DeVeDe to create a project with , to create a Title for the project since I can't get the Title right in Open Shot :
but I don't know what codecs are most appropriate for a DVD; for both audio and video when I export the project from Open Shot . I've looked all over the place. Could some one please fill me in on this .

So far I have - 720x480 ; 16:9 ; 29.97 frame rate ; bit rate 5.00 DVD quality ; but don't know what video or audio codec to choose . thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: OPEN SHOT - which is correct codecs to create DVD

Post by phd21 »

logoi wrote:I'm new to video editing , I'm trying to create a DVD project in Open Shot which I'll then use DeVeDe to create a project with , to create a Title for the project since I can't get the Title right in Open Shot :
but I don't know what codecs are most appropriate for a DVD; for both audio and video when I export the project from Open Shot . I've looked all over the place. Could some one please fill me in on this .

So far I have - 720x480 ; 16:9 ; 29.97 frame rate ; bit rate 5.00 DVD quality ; but don't know what video or audio codec to choose . thank you
Hi logoi,

It would help to have more information (see FYI below) and to be a more specific.

I'm pretty sure you could use DeVeDe for the whole thing, so why use OpenShot? Ex: What kind of video and audio files are you using? If you go into the Software Manager or the Synaptic Package Manager and search for "DVD", or "DVD codec", or "video codec", you will see a lot programs and codecs you can install; remember to use the newest ones.

It helps to make sure you have a good DVD burning software installed like "K3b" or "Xfburn" which if you do not already have installed, you can install from the Software Manager, or the Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

When I last used DeVeDe it did the whole thing including burning the DVD.

There are many good posts in this forum, and others, regarding creating DVD's. Search for Creating a DVD, DVD,

DeVeDe - created DVD hits digital "wall" every few mins
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=196169

FYI: It would help everyone here to have more information about your system's setup: like what edition and version of Linux Mint are you using, Cinnamon, Mate, KDE (my fav), or Xfce; version 17 or 17.1, or What?; 32-bit or 64-bit? Some more information about your hardware would be useful as well. You can get this information from your system menu's Welcome screen, System Information program, and by typing in "inxi -Fxz" from a console terminal prompt, which you can then copy and paste back here. This information helps anyone here in this forum to be able to answer any questions you may have better :), thanks. You can even add this information (abbreviated) to your signature using the control panel link in the above left of this forum screen; then when you post a question or reply to one, that info will automatically be there, ex: see mine and others below their posts.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
logoi

Post by logoi »

phd21;

thanks a lot for your reply. Here is my inxi -Fxz info . Also the movie file I'm working with is MKV - 2.2 GB (2,202,952,870 bytes) .
I have all the programs you mention and more- installed , including ImgBurn . I was working with DeVeDe but couldn't change something I wanted to in creating a Title page . I have since figured that out and will also go back to DeVeDe too.
I followed your link and read everything; thank you. I'll follow up on youtube DL etc. tomorrow . Very interesting.
Also I am asking at other forums too. and have gotten some feedback. Enough to know I was using the right codecs for both audio and video . I think it might have something to do with Blender and it's path in Open Shot's profile/setup/preferences etc. ; and I'm not Linux enough to fix/change it. So for now I'll go back to DeVeDe .

I've been here -https://wilkiecat.wordpress.com/2012/01 ... h-blender/

and here -- http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

and here -- http://www.openshotusers.com/help/1.3/en/index.html

and here -- http://askubuntu.com/questions/169542/h ... from-a-ppa

and did a lot of these things - which are way over my head - but got thru it and it looks like I didn't ruin anything. I did this because I checked the program versions I have installed ; in the package manager and it looked like they could be updated or upgraded ; so I researched how to do that - and I hope I did the right thing ; especially as far as ppa's go . .

I know one thing I need to do is upgrade my video card from this dinosaur I have . Also , win 7 is on the 160GB drive. I've tried with Adobe Premiere CC too and other Windows programs too . For me there is a steep learning curve with all of this ; so I'm on again off again . I've joined many forums and even experimented with PowerPoint - to try to get the text files large and clear and readable.
This movie video I'm working with is just a sample video I'm working with to try to get the hang of working with programs to create a DVD.
The real project I need to do is to create a DVD for my 90 yr. old mother , that she can just put in a player and hit play ; on her old TV. I want this DVD to contain 3or 4 different media types , consisting of --
# 1) 4or 5 pages of .ODT format text from Office Libre containing an intro to the DVD that she can read ; so she'll understand what she's seeing on the disk -because -
#2 media type ) will be about 80 pages I " saved as " from web pages , from 3 different websites I have an interest in . Both text and photos ; now formatted in .jpg . So she can see what I'm interested in. ( I may have to change this formatt - to .png )
#3) you tube videos formatted appropriately for DVD of people like - Judy Garland , Ella Fitzgerald and others from her generation , plus some from the world of today .
#4) a video of my current apt. and surrounding grounds , with running commentary from me, taken with my android phone and formatted ; so she can see where I'm am now

I'm on Linux Mint 17 , Cinnamon desktop with 8GB ram memory ; 64 bit

jcc@jcc-K53E ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System: Host: jcc-K53E Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine: System: Dell product: OptiPlex 755
Mobo: Dell model: 0GM819 Bios: Dell version: A09 date: 03/11/2008
CPU: Quad core Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 19151.7
Clock Speeds: 1: 2393.962 MHz 2: 2393.962 MHz 3: 2393.962 MHz 4: 2393.962 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV610 [Radeon HD 2400 PRO/XT] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1680x1050@59.9hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV610 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Card-2: Asahi Kasei Microsystems AK5370 I/F A/D Converter driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 0556:0001
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network: Card: Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e ver: 2.3.2-k port: ecc0 bus-ID: 00:19.0
IF: eth1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1708.3GB (48.2% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST3160812AS size: 160.0GB
2: id: /dev/sdb model: ST95005620AS size: 500.1GB 3: id: /dev/sdc model: Name n/a size: 1000.2GB
4: USB id: /dev/sdd model: USB_3.0_FD size: 16.0GB 5: USB id: /dev/sde model: Extreme size: 32.0GB
Partition: ID: / size: 259G used: 213G (87%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 8.36GB used: 0.06GB (1%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 64.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 203 Uptime: 10:33 Memory: 2826.4/7856.8MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4

Do you need any more info. If you need it I can copy and paste from the results of a DxDiag query I did in Windows .

I don't see this control panel link ; maybe it's gonna show up when I go back to the other forum page . I'll check back here later . Thank you very much
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi logoi,

Sounds like an interesting project and a nice thing to do for your mother. Plus, learning something new is usually a good thing to do. Your system looks like it should able to handle this project no problem without even upgrading your video card. I do not see any problems in your "inxi -Fxz" results.

I. You might want to consider installing extra fonts and font programs (utilities) from the Software Manager or the Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) which DeVeDe (and any other program) can then use natively.

ttf-mscorefonts-installer
ubuntu-restricted-extras
ubuntu-restricted-addons
fonts-opensymbol
xfonts-utils
xfonts-scalable
fontconfig
font-manager - gnome
typecatcher
x11-xfs-utils

Calibre - can convert various formats

II. If your phone connects to your system where you can download your audio video stuff, that's good; If not, there are numerous Android apps. in the Software Manager and SPM as well.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
logoi

Post by logoi »

Hi phd21 . thanks for your response... yes I haven't had any issues with this system as a whole. Want to upgrade card so I can play Golf Club .
OK. I went back to DeVeDe and now remember why I went somewhere else to try . Maybe it's my version , I don't know , but I don't see the same abilities I do in Open Shot ; for cutting , splicing, and everything else . Am I missing something ? Also I installed Pitivi, Avidemux and others and I do Like Open Shot the most. My problem is , I'm pretty sure I just don't have something right or I'm just not doing things right .
I will attempt to install the fonts and other that you suggested. I stopped and checked just now and I already have everything you listed - except the last 3 , which I just installed . I'll get Calibre in a minute.
Yes my phone connects fine to computer. I checked around last week and downloaded and installed an app so I can use phone for web cam . Works. Also I'm sure it's pretty easy to convert android vid to something else. I've found a bunch of online converter sites too. If I could just get some help I bet it could be done in a couple of days. OK . Thanks again for your input . I really appreciate it.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

logoi wrote:Hi phd21 . thanks for your response... yes I haven't had any issues with this system as a whole. Want to upgrade card so I can play Golf Club .
You are welcome. If I am not mistaken, your video can handle up to 256mb of RAM, make sure your bios is using that much and you should be able to play "Golf Club" too. Of course, getting a newer better video card would be great too :).
OK. I went back to DeVeDe and now remember why I went somewhere else to try . Maybe it's my version , I don't know , but I don't see the same abilities I do in Open Shot ; for cutting , splicing, and everything else . Am I missing something ? Also I installed Pitivi, Avidemux and others and I do Like Open Shot the most. My problem is , I'm pretty sure I just don't have something right or I'm just not doing things right .
I PM'ed you, but to recap here: In edition to "Open Shot", there are numerous video editors available: Avidemux, Handbrake, etc... And I forgot to mention Bombono DVD authoring as well. I have not used DeVeDe enough to give more expert advice on it, but I know it can assemble video and audio files with text and menus to create a nice DVD. As for its video editing capabilities, I do not know. I have "Open Shot" installed originally from a PPA source which seems to no longer be valid - still looking into that; maybe the program is no longer being updated? I personally have not used Open Shot yet. And, I still do not know exactly what you are trying to do with it.
I will attempt to install the fonts and other that you suggested. I stopped and checked just now and I already have everything you listed - except the last 3 , which I just installed . I'll get Calibre in a minute.
One reason for adding the fonts and stuff is that some are "scalable" to any size that you want with good resolution for better vision - viewing. Another reason is that DeVeDe may be able to create some of the text within without you using LibreOffice or some other program and trying to import / convert that. I would recommend you read the descriptions of those programs I suggested, if you have not.
Yes my phone connects fine to computer. I checked around last week and downloaded and installed an app so I can use phone for web cam . Works. Also I'm sure it's pretty easy to convert android vid to something else. I've found a bunch of online converter sites too. If I could just get some help I bet it could be done in a couple of days. OK . Thanks again for your input . I really appreciate it.
It is going to be easy to convert your Android video, if you need to, that depends on the video format it creates. There are a lot of really good video converter programs for your system and online web converters too. The online web converters sometimes have size limits that may be too small for your project. I highly recommend "curlew" and the others in my previous posts. One think I really Liked about DeVeDe is that it could handle a lot of multimedia file formats without having to convert them first.

Good luck and let us know how you are progressing...
logoi

Post by logoi »

Well , I don't know how to do that inset you did in your last post , so I'll just reply in order.

I was speaking to someone the other day about a different card ( on the phone) who gave me info on Directx11 . Everything in the computer says I have it but when I install Steam and then the game it opens the Golf Club but but after installing all the files says I don't have Direct3d shaders . I had worked on this a while back but had to give up . I thought it was my video card. Then talking to this guy last week I did what he suggested and re-downloaded Directx but the game still won't play.. Don't know why. Another issue.

Basically I've tried the other programs and Open Shot is what I need first ; to create a video from all the different media types I want to use. Once I have that it should be a piece of cake to make an actual DVD. I like DeVeDe and IMGBurn for making DVD's . They're both good.

Yes I have been figuring out all the different ppa: stuff myself . Very confusing . Apparently there were differences between a source build and another one. But unknown to me that was in the past . AS I continued searching I finally think I have everything right . Here is something you might want to take a look at if you want to work in Open Shot . Wish I had found it sooner.
http://openshotusers.com/forum/viewtopi ... ppa#p10053

If that link doesn't work maybe this will - http://openshotusers.com/forum/search.p ... &fid[0]=11 then click on first post

Re: Export Help Please
Your MLT version is 0.7.7. Try to upgrade to at least 0.8.8 e.g. via ppa.

The Melt stuff has to be right and something else I can't remember . Now they have a good working library for Open Shot -- libopenshot ; and I think most of the bugs worked out.

Also there was an issue with the "edge " version and I installed a dead ppa: and had to realize that too and change it.

The problem I'm having is when it exports I end up with either empty file or no file - after 30-40 min. Others have had this problem too. Still tracking down solution.

http://openshotusers.com/forum/viewtopi ... =11&t=2455

" One reason for adding the fonts "
yes I think scaling might come in handy. Also I might be able to just put the text pages I have into a Title page in an editing program and do things that way; because title pages accept text.

Yes , I'm aware of the size restrictions for online converters. That may present a problem . Have to use programs I guess .

Yeah , thats a great thing about DeVeDe it converts automatically . I have Curlew too and Bombono . Haven't used them yet.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi logoi and anyone else,

Thanks for the links. I read about another interesting Video Editing program called "Kdenlive" which may also be a good tool to use for editing your videos and then creating your own DVD's.

Kdenlive
https://kdenlive.org/features
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "logoi",

I know this post is from awhile ago, but I was wondering how you are doing with your video project? And, I have some more information for you in the link below. I have been using "Kdenlive" for awhile now, and I love it for video editing, but for when it comes time to create the DVD, "burn a DVD", I find there are other programs that are easier for that part, like "Bombono", and "DeVeDe" which you have already tried.

movie DVD maker
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=212377

FYI-1: All the really good video editors can edit and assemble videos, pictures & slideshows, audio and music, into a single video file in various video formats, like ".mp4" or ".mkv", including DVD formats. I find that where they seem to be lacking is an easy to use, capable and reliable interface to burn (create) the actual DVD's, that's where programs like Bombono and DeveDe work well, because you just add your videos and multimedia files to those, and create your DVD menus in minutes, and easily burn your DVD's.

FYI-2: Quick "How To" video clip edit: In "Kdenlive", when you add a video clip to your video project where you only want a portion, or portions of it. Just click a video on the left side to focus on it, the goal is to mark a portion (zone) of the video clip that you want to use.

Then, on the upper right, click the clip monitor tab, click the play button, when you get to a the beginning part of the video clip that you want to use, click the pause button, click the "set zone start", "["left bracket, then click the play button again, when you get to the ending part of a your clip that you want to keep, hit the pause button again, now click the right bracket "]" to "set zone stop". Now, you have marked (selected) the portion of the video that you want to keep and use for your final video project, and or DVD.

Okay, now you have two options to add just this portion (selection) of this video (or audio) clip to your video timeline:
1. click the "gear icon" in the clip monitor, and click "extract zone", which will add it as another new clip to your project's clips, which you can then drag from there to your video timeline.
OR
2. click and hold your mouse button, inside the clip monitor window, and just drag it onto the video timeline where you want this clip to be.

You can continue to carve out other pieces of this particular video clip the same way, or do the same procedure for any other video (and audio) clips you have, until you have created your entire desired video, then click "render" to produce a single video file, in a format like ".mp4", ".mkv", or if for the web (webM), or "mpeg2" for using the "Kdenlive" DVD Wizard. FYI: In "Kdenlive", you can also "render" to regular DVD files/folders as well, or use the DVD Wizard, if you create a "mpeg" video file(s). I just think it is easier for burning directly to DVD with custom DVD menus to use "Bombono" or "DeVeDe", and just adding your video clips that you created from "Kdenlive", or some other video editor, to one of these programs.

Here is a quick video example of this: Just click the image (box) below, or right click to open in a new tab.
1-Kdenlive_QuickClipEdit_01022016-2.gif

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Many of the OP's questions are about video formats per se, and aren't platform specific. The videohelp forum is a good one, better for a lot of these questions than here. There are a lot more video geeks there.

I also think Devede should work. It's been a while since I used DVD encoding/authoring software, and I haven't done it in linux. I did use DVDstyler in windows. It wasn't the best but frankly I never found one that was much good anyway.

You probably could do it with an editor/encoder that outputs to DVD compliant video and audio formats, which are very specific. As you seem to be finding out, though, video processing is not simple.

I definitely agree about that video card. That card is an AMD legacy card. Don't try to install the proprietary binary drivers for it. They haven't been supported for current linux versions for years. Get a cheap Nvidia card.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "logoi", "Hoser Rob", and anyone else interested in this,
Hoser Rob wrote:Many of the OP's questions are about video formats per se, and aren't platform specific. The videohelp forum is a good one, better for a lot of these questions than here. There are a lot more video geeks there.
Actually, "logoi" had many issues to discuss regarding this, Linux Mint, and hardware problems, etc... So we were communicating through PM and email for awhile outside of this post. Once things were figured out on his end, and we came up with anything worth posting back here, either one of us would have done that. But, because I had not heard from him in awhile, and I found out more information, I decided to make another post.

I agree that the video help forum would definitely be a good place for these type of posts and replies.

And, I am not a "geek", although some people think that very intelligent and knowledgeable people can be "geek-ish" at times; and some people are truly "geeks" as you and others refer to them, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Hoser Rob wrote: I also think Devede should work. It's been a while since I used DVD encoding/authoring software, and I haven't done it in linux. I did use DVDstyler in windows. It wasn't the best but frankly I never found one that was much good anyway. You probably could do it with an editor/encoder that outputs to DVD compliant video and audio formats, which are very specific.
When I was first helping others in this forum regarding creating DVD's, I started out using "DeVeDe" (still do sometimes), and it has always worked for me, including burning the DVD. I just recently tested the excellent "Bombono" DVD program, and it works incredibly well and is extremely easy to install and use in Linux Mint. That is why I created a quick video tutorial on how to use "Bombono" in the link in my previous reply.

As for DVDstyler, it looks great, and is simple to install in Linux Mint and use, but whenever I tried to finish something, it "crashed". Maybe that is just on my system.
Hoser Rob wrote: As you seem to be finding out, though, video processing is not simple.
I somewhat agree with this statement. It can take a little time to get used to using any of the video editors, and or DVD producing programs. But, not so much that it is not worth trying to do. And, with help from people like me and others, you can create some pretty nice videos for whatever purpose, business (sales, training, meetings, etc...), personal, school, keepsakes, websites, etc... Creating a basic video, or regular DVD, is not that difficult or time consuming. If you want to create a video with various scene transitions and video effects, that is where it does get more complicated.
Hoser Rob wrote:I definitely agree about that video card. That card is an AMD legacy card. Don't try to install the proprietary binary drivers for it. They haven't been supported for current linux versions for years. Get a cheap Nvidia card.
I totally agree with this video card comment. Better computer hardware means better and faster results, especially with video and or audio editing. Some video and audio editing features and related stuff, simply cannot be done if you do not have the correct hardware for it.

It is excruciatingly slow on my older outdated 32-bit system, with an AMD legacy video card, for me to do most anything, especially related to video or audio editing, and creating the video tutorials that I do for the users here. But, I obviously have been able to do it. It takes me many hours to install and test all the various programs, and in this case video editors and DVD authoring programs, to help the users in this forum, and at times creating video tutorials to show how they can also do it. But, I like doing it, so it is worth it.

Hope this helps ...

Return to “Sound”