Setting mp3/Lame settings in Rhythmbox

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Setting mp3/Lame settings in Rhythmbox

Postby VictorWarner on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:29 am

Using Linux Mint 6 and Rhythmbox 0.11.6

I would like to rip cds at a particular quality (mp3 format) but cannot work out to set various options (and there does not appear to be documentation on the Rhythmbox web site to provide guidance).

Looking at Edit/Preferences/Music tab and

Preferred format and editing eg "CD Quality, MP3" and clicking through to get the command line that is used I find:

Code: Select all
audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc mode=0 vbr-quality=6 ! id3v2mux

What I would like to do is how I edit this so that I can get get a constant bit rate of either 256 or 320.

Help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Victor Warner.
VictorWarner
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Setting mp3/Lame settings in Rhythmbox

Postby grimdestripador on Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:23 am

After doing a google search on the keyterms: lame, name=enc, cbr
the first result is how your shouldent be using CBR
For best results regarding sound quality and compression ratio you shouldn't use CBR encoding at all but VBR (variable bitrate) instead. More info about recommended lame settings can be found here:

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php ... r_Settings

I use and recommend following pipeline:

audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc vbr=4 vbr-quality=2 ! xingmux ! id3v2mux

This is equivalent for lame command line switch -V 2 --vbr-new.

If you want to change the encoding settings you can go to to preferences and edit the profiles (GStreamer pipeline). For mp3 profile it looks like this:
audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc mode=0 vbr-quality=6 ! id3v2mux

To direct it to create 128 kbps / joint stereo instead of the default mode alter the line to:
audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc mode=1 bitrate=128 ! id3v2mux

or to use the presets instead:
audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc preset=standard ! id3v2mux

To see what options are available just go to console and execute:
gst-inspect lame

This command will write all options that are available for lame and its valid values.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs