Please Upgrade VLC to 2.2.x on software center.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
99sH0Ts

Please Upgrade VLC to 2.2.x on software center.

Post by 99sH0Ts »

Please Upgrade VLC to 2.2.x as v-sub doesn't works on 2.1.x ... It's a quite important plugin.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Please Upgrade VLC to 2.2.x on software center.

Post by jimallyn »

Have you tried installing from this PPA?

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/03/new- ... ubuntu-ppa

Or you might try this one:

https://launchpad.net/~n-muench/+archive/ubuntu/vlc

What is v-sub?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
99sH0Ts

Post by 99sH0Ts »

V-sub ... vlc extension to find subtitles ..
And I tried installing from PPA - messed up whole VLC -- See this thread : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=204773
took a lot of work to undo the mess.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<Moderator on>
Removed a reply which had been given in a tone that was harder than necessary. - Consistently also removed the 2 replies to this reply as well.
Please, criticism is all right, but express it in a constructive way. - Or to use an acronym: RTFR, read the forum rules. :wink:
</Moderator off>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I cannot remember the name of the PPAs off the top of my head, but there are a couple of PPAs that have newer versions of quite a few multimedia applications and, IIRC, their associated files. I think one is from a guy named Doug McMahon and another one (or two) is from one of the Ubuntu (Mediabuntu?) developers. One of them included a note that it was only for users who wanted to stay with the 14.04 version of *buntu and should not be used by those running 14.10 or newer. (Our Mint 17.x is based on Ubuntu 14.04.)

There is also the "videolan/stable-daily" PPA, which is run by the application's developers.

I had luck in the past using one of the above to get a (then) new version of VLC when I was asked to set up someone's Android phone to work as a remote for VLC (that ran on their laptop) so that, among other things, they could connect their laptop to their television, sit back on the couch, and still control VlC.

When using PPAs for the purpose of updating something to a newer version, always be prepared for issues. Make a note of what is being changed and realize that two - or more - applications (or even the DE or something else equally important) can depend on the same file and that upgrading that file to a newer version than what other things expect can have unexpected results. Putting things back the way they were (generally) recovers, but nothing is guaranteed.

I cannot remember if it is applicable (I believe so, but...), but you might want to do a web search on

Code: Select all

ppa purge

And there is a terminal command/option that is... It's kind of like a "mock" upgrade. IOW, instead of installing something, you'll see the system go through the motions but not actually install/change any files. That might be helpful in judging the merits of trying to upgrade a package before you actually go through with it. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the exact command. Can someone with a functioning brain please post it (thanks!)?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Sound”