Can't find Winff after installing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MuchLoved1

Can't find Winff after installing

Post by MuchLoved1 »

Hi

I've installed Winff but can't find it anywhere on my system. I'm using Linux Mint 17 Rafaela Cinnamon. I get this message in the terminal

Code: Select all

janine@janine-Aspire-5349 ~ $ sudo apt-get install winff
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
winff is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 27 not upgraded.
In the Software Manager, where I installed the package... this is the bit that confuses me (underlined)

WinFF is a graphical user interface for FFmpeg or avconv. It will convert almost any video file that FFmpeg or avconv will convert. WinFF does multiple files in multiple formats at one time. You can, for example, convert mpeg's, flv's, and mov's into avi's (or DVD/VCD format or MPEG or 3gp etc.) all at once.

This package provides a variety of preset conversion settings for common formats and devices. These presets are intended to hit the "sweet spot" for each individual codec. They have been written with a tip of the balance to quality.

For most presets to work, it is necessary to have the unstripped version of the libavcodec package, which can be obtained by installing libavcodec-extra as suggested by this package. It might be necessary to enable additional repositories to find that package. (I installed libavcodec-extra .... but nothing works)

Can someone please help me? Or suggest another media converter? I've also installed FFMulti Converter, but it doesn't work.

Thank you
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Can't find Winff after installing

Post by Flemur »

(I installed libavcodec-extra .... but nothing works)
What does "nothing works" mean? That winff is not appearing in a menu? Installing codecs won't change that.
This file should exist:

ls -l /usr/share/menu/winff
cat /usr/share/menu/winff
If you can't find a menu entry, just open a terminal and type

winff
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
b2a8r1

Post by b2a8r1 »

sudo apt-get install winff-gtk2
I believe you only installed the cli version you also need the gui there is also the winff-qt package.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I believe you only installed the cli version you also need the gui there is also the winff-qt package.
I don't think there is such a thing (CLI only):

$ ls -l `which winff`
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Aug 12 11:16 /usr/bin/winff -> /etc/alternatives/winff
$ ls -l  /etc/alternatives/winff
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Aug 12 11:16 /etc/alternatives/winff -> /usr/bin/winff-gtk2

$ sudo apt-get install winff --no-install-recommends
The following extra packages will be installed:
  winff-gtk2
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  winff winff-gtk2
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Roger Peartree
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Roger Peartree »

First I installed Winff from the ppa:paulclimbing/ppa and it installed just fine and got it's own menu entry but because it's freaking Mint:
Go to Menu Editor (which is menulibre). Under Multimedia (I mean click on that and expand, select the last entry, could be "VLC" etc)
Create a new launcher, rename it Winff, describe it or not, (second line) and then in the "Command" field select and then navigate to the winff executable /usr/bin/winff
Check "advanced options" and more, you'll find out and where you see Try Exec then /usr/bin/winff and the same with other fields like Generic name etc.
Now click the arrow down icon on the up left meaning that you'll save the launcher
Don't worry, it will ask you if you want to save the launcher...
You can also change the icon of the launcher, just search for one that satisfies you because I don't think there's a specific one but hey look for it in "icon images2 if you want. Me I don't like the Tor Browser icon so I always use the Iceweasel icon...
Good luck.
In Mint all this can or cannot work at all. I'm learning that Mint's advantages are equal to it's disadvantages.
It's good for "normal" users (I always install it for them) but it's totally inadequate to superusers or advanced DEB padawans...
So... did I say "good luck!"
;-)
MuchLoved1

Post by MuchLoved1 »

Roger Peartree wrote:First I installed Winff from the ppa:paulclimbing/ppa and it installed just fine and got it's own menu entry but because it's freaking Mint:
Go to Menu Editor (which is menulibre). Under Multimedia (I mean click on that and expand, select the last entry, could be "VLC" etc)
Create a new launcher, rename it Winff, describe it or not, (second line) and then in the "Command" field select and then navigate to the winff executable /usr/bin/winff
Please excuse my ignorance... but where would I find the Menu Editor button...and how do a create a new launcher? Thanks for your help tho :)
VAPORMARK

Post by VAPORMARK »

Restart Cinnamon, CRTL-ALT-ESC, It should now be on the menu under Sound & Video. :D

Return to “Sound”