Flash has disappeared [SOLVED]

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Flash has disappeared [SOLVED]

Postby Hepburn on Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:28 am

Hey,

I have much weirdness going on with Flash player. I've got Elyssa and I've been using Flash 9, as 10 was a bit buggy with Firefox and kept eating my CPU, and everything was hunkydory.
Today I started to get messages on websites to upgrade to the latest Flash, and as said websites 'insisted' on my installing it I thought, sure, why not? Installation seemed fine, but then any site that required Flash said I didn't have it. So I looked at 'about:plugins', and no mention of Flash. Reinstalled, same problem, reinstalled, same problem. I've tried installing from Synaptic as well as the .deb and .tar.gz packages from Adobe, but no joy. I can't even get Flash 9 to work again. (I have found other mentions of this problem elsewhere on the net, but they're all related to the 'W' word, so not exactly helpful :P )

And now I'm slightly dizzy from going round and round in circles! :mrgreen:
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Hepburn
Last edited by Hepburn on Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're only young once, but you can be immature indefinitely.
Hepburn
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Flash has disappeared

Postby SiKing on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:38 pm

Hey. I also had problems with flash, and tried to fix it myself, and messed it up. Try this:
1. Remove Flash completely.
- Exit Firefox.
- Go into Synaptic (or whatever) and remove both adobe-flashplugin and flashplugin-nonfree.
- Go to a command line and run:
Code: Select all
find / -name *flash*so -print 2> /dev/null

Hopefully this will not find any flash plugins. It may find some in your home (from your attempts to fix things), so you should delete (or move elsewhere for safekeeping) those.
2. Install a fresh copy of Flash.
- Go back to Synaptic.
- Search for "flash".
- Select flashplugin-nonfree, press Ctrl-E and select the version that suits you.
- Install.

HTH.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Flash has disappeared

Postby Hepburn on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:08 am

Sorry for the super-late reply, I've been away...

After removing the two flash plugins in Synaptic (and I don't know how they appeared there, as I'd already uninstalled them...), everything magically started working again! I think I have some Gremlins hiding somewhere :mrgreen:

Thanks again,
Hepburn
You're only young once, but you can be immature indefinitely.
Hepburn
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs