Weird blackouts Acer ASpire 5670 (ATI Radeon Mobility x1600)

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Weird blackouts Acer ASpire 5670 (ATI Radeon Mobility x1600)

Postby Guest on Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi all!

Just got Felicia installed and seeming to work (not without troubles with the video card - ATI Radeon Mobility x1600). The only serious problem so far - once in a while the screen starts to blink very fast from totally black (as in disconnected from power - that is 0 signal) to the desktop - after sometime it ceases. But it hangs Elisa with the whole OS if it happened while playing back a movie! Any thoughts?

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Weird blackouts Acer ASpire 5670 (ATI Radeon Mobility x1600)

Postby kaynemo on Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:48 pm

Guest wrote:Hi all!

Just got Felicia installed and seeming to work (not without troubles with the video card - ATI Radeon Mobility x1600). The only serious problem so far - once in a while the screen starts to blink very fast from totally black (as in disconnected from power - that is 0 signal) to the desktop - after sometime it ceases. But it hangs Elisa with the whole OS if it happened while playing back a movie! Any thoughts?

P.S. Sorry - I had to use the Guest mode - I've had troubles with this forum :)
kaynemo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kaynemo on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:03 pm

Ok !! SO it took me more then two months to figure this crap out and this forum was no help at all - like seriously, this is the first distro I've used, who's forum didn't even attempt to help, but anyway - there seems to be a solution - turning OFF powernowd service in services panel seems to do the trick - CPU stepping is not working well. I hope this helps someone !
kaynemo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AK Dave on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:58 pm

Slipped through the cracks. Don't take it personal.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby kaynemo on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:54 pm

Nah - it's cool, I was being sarcastic, sorry - gotta say that powernowd OFF still doesn't fix the problem entirely - it is SO annoying and I can't figure out what causes it :(
kaynemo
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs