cd/dvd drive will read cds but not blank dvds??

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

cd/dvd drive will read cds but not blank dvds??

Postby root_assassin on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:57 pm

i have a dell inspiron 1525 with felica main and my drive reads cds, but notblank dvds, help?
root_assassin
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: cd/dvd drive will read cds but not blank dvds??

Postby Fred on Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:09 am

root_assassin,

You need to help us out a little here. Please try to be a little more specific about your problem. On its' face, your problem about not reading blank dvds is a non-problem. Blank dvd, no data to read. What did you expect it to do?

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby viking777 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:58 am

Possible answer: Open up synaptic and serch for 'libdvd'. When I do that I have 3 files installed (and a few that aren't). The three that are needed are libdvdread3, libdvdnav4 and libdvdcss2. If you don't have those installed then install them. it might work (or it might not!).
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby Fred on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:52 am

I still have the question, what is to be read from a blank dvd? Honest, I don't get it. Sorry.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby exploder on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:36 am

I think I understand the problem. First, completely remove the current version of Brasero using Synaptic, then install the newer Brasero packages found here.

http://www.getdeb.net/search.php?keywords=brasero

Also, if you are having problems with the CD-ROM closing, update the udev package in Synaptic. These steps should get things working for you.

@ Ferd

I think the original poster is saying that when he inserts a blank CD Nautilus does not put "blank CD" on the desktop. I don't think he actually meant reading the disk but the system seeing it. I knew what he meant because I had the same problem.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Fred on Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:15 pm

exploder,

Ahhh... see and read. Ok I am just a little slow today. I missed it. :-)

Thanks.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs