Static audio. Please hElp =D

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Static audio. Please hElp =D

Postby RyanTzor on Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:36 pm

. When i play any type of audio of my computer, it just comes through my speakers as staticy static crappy static sound.. Please help me thanks

Linux noob,
Ryan :mrgreen:
RyanTzor
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Static audio. Please hElp =D

Postby Husse on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:43 am

You have to tell us more facts.
The minimum is exactly which Mint you have - which version and which edition (main or any of the CEs)
We also need to know a bit about all your hardware.
Run " lspci " in a terminal and post here (To copy from a terminal right click)
Some wifi and possibly built in sound can be connected to USB even if they are internal - if you suspect you have one of these run " lsusb " in a terminal.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby rivenought on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:36 am

Ryan,

One of my first generic responses is to suggest you open your volume control applet. I have seen numerous posts in several forums in regards to the PCM slider being set too high. That is one of the first things I would check, and do check in every new Linux installation. It never hurts to verify the generalities. Once you get the specifications listed, further analysis can commence. Hopefully, this is a minor problem.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby RyanTzor on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:52 pm

Great response =D. I think i may have fixed it. What i did was open the volume control panel and change the source to Realtek ALC268 (OSS Mixer).
I currently have a usb soundcard that plays my 5.1 creative surround sound system. However, when i switch to this setting it only plays the sub woffer and the front left and front right speakers. The center, and the satellite right and left speakers are left with no sound.

Any ideas?

Your help is much appreciated =D

EDIT: well crap.... I had it working then i exited rythem box and went back in and it did the static crap again... any suggestions?
RyanTzor
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:29 pm

Ryan,

Well, you are making some progress. Your system is capable of providing 2.1 sound at some point. I think I remember seeing something about either 4.1 or 5.1 sound in the Ubuntu forums. With a Creative sound card as part of your search parameter, you should get quite a few hits. Good luck.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs