Ram.php files, How to get them to work?

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Ram.php files, How to get them to work?

Postby Jonathan on Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:21 pm

Hi, and sorry to bother, but....
I used to use Bea and had a lot of audio play automatically using Realplayer when it came to "ram.php" files, but now with Bianca I'm having problems with these audio formats. Mplayer simply does not play them.

For curiosity sake alone, the sites that I would like to regain access to are WGBH.org forum lectures, and HarryShearer.com (a lovely news program from the guy who does a million of The Simpsons vioces). Both have "ram.php" files that I cannot get to play in Mplayer.... and I would rather they be played on Realplayer anyhow, rather than on Mplayer.

{Thank you, thank you, thank you again for your help with this Minty matter. And thank you for Mint in general. It has literally made my life so much more livable! This is coming from a very unintentional Mac convert to Win, to someone who cannot imagine even going back to Mac from MintyLinux. ...or back to Win. But, ahem, that goes without saying.}
Jonathan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Boo on Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:21 pm

for realplayer look at:
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... yer&t=1444

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ayer&t=118

you just have to install it.
maybe it should be put back in for mint 3.0.
but maybe it is a licensing thing...

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

ram.php files from a website....

Postby Jonathan on Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:19 pm

Thanks for your response. I do understand how to get a certain file to open in Realplay by using the right-click Preferences option of "open with".

My concern is to open website links to ram.php files. I can't get them to not open in Mplayer. And even then they don't open or play or do any of the other things you'd think a link would do. I would like for the ram.php files to automatically open with Realplay.

Again, a test site is Harryshearer.com and then the link to Le Show under "shows and projects".

Sorry to bother.

Just want some dumb radio.

thanks!
Jonathan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby telic on Tue May 01, 2007 10:51 am

I used to use Bea and had a lot of audio play automatically using Realplayer when it came to "ram.php" files, but now with Bianca I'm having problems with these audio formats.

A *.php file isn't an audio format, it's basically HTML (web page code) with enhanced scripting features. These are processed by a PHP webpage server, not a media player directly.

I believe you're referring to *.ram files, which are RealPlayer's streaming media format. They're small files that contain information about the location of the actual audio or video files (e.g. *.ra or *.rm files). You can download *.ram files onto your PC, but an Internet connection is needed to access the media files online in real-time, either by a web-savvy media player or a web browser that can feed the audio/video data stream to a compatible media player.

At the moment I'm not running Mint, so I can't do tests for a more specific reply.

One thing you can try is to copy-and-paste the online audio link directly into RealPlayer. Open both your web browser and the RealPlayer media player. At the Harry Shearer site, do a right-click on the audio link and select Copy Link Location with your browser, then do a paste into RealPlayer's File > Open Location URL box.

------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby telic on Wed May 02, 2007 8:04 pm

Mplayer simply does not play them.

I just did a fresh install of Bianca. I have no problem listening to the Harry Shearer online audio, using the Mplayer plugin that Mint has (pre)installed for Firefox.

------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs